Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171821 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    I know, but he asked for an explanation of my definition of the word Profit.

Which is: The cost of doing business in the future

I always found it interesting that many people don't grasp that concept. But if you think about it, it's absolutely true.
    I understood it because it makes perfect sense. In fact, it makes so much sense that only those who are dead set that government needs to take care of us would not understand it.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    It is you that have no idea what ‘profit’ is.

A business does not have to turn a 'profit' to stay in business. It can operate for eternity without ‘profit’, but it cannot operate without covering its ‘business expenses’.

‘Business expenses’ and ‘profit’ are two entirely different things.
    oooh now we have a problem. your missing the entire point of profit and Profit center in relation business.

Profit encompasses expenses. You need profit to pay expenses, not the other way around......unless your with the governement

Ok let me restate this. I suppose your right, if you don't want your business to grow.
    Last edited by jmac00; 08-20-2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: corrections
    The Last four letters

American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats

any questions

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    No one is forced out of business. Companies go out of business because they are not doing as well for the consumers as other companies do.

Besides, there are many mom and pop companies that go out of business and go to work at Walmart making more money than they ever did being in business. Why? Because they didn't really belong being in business in the first place. In the meantime, the Walmart store is hiring more of the neighborhood people than the mom and pop shops ever would have been able to do.
    Ok...but it still doesn't change the fact that they would be upset.

Surely the argument is about the expectations on a countries population. We in the modern world have high exceptions of what a days work should provide. Are we entitled to our expectations. So Walmart makes a profit, as it should, it suppliers its costumers with what they want, at it should.
    But, is the drive to increase profits (or more likely stock value), having a negative effect on, our expectations.
    If you believe that all that work full time should be allowed to have all reasonable life time cost covered. (education, health care (private or public), housing heat/cooling, food and so on), then these cost do need to be covered directly or indirectly (taxes). So by Walmart and others, paying low, shift productive work out side the region, these cost then do need to be born by others. Which does bring us into a circular argument.
    If you are happy with a highly divisional class system, then the Walmark model is an excellent one, but at the cost of social responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    No one is forced out of business. Companies go out of business because they are not doing as well for the consumers as other companies do.
    You make one hilarious statement after another. Companies go out of business because they cannot cover their business expenses, period. It has nothing to do with how they compare to the guy down the street.

It is you that have no idea what ‘profit’ is.

A business does not have to turn a 'profit' to stay in business. It can operate for eternity without ‘profit’, but it cannot operate without covering its ‘business expenses’.

‘Business expenses’ and ‘profit’ are two entirely different things.
    It is obvious you have no concept of business. No profit means no growth. No growth means failed business or business that will fail when current management leaves, retires or dies. There is currently a book out by some guy named Ed Hess who claims to dispute that if business does not grow, it dies, while the entire time showing how to "grow" a business properly.

Of course their are bad ways to grow a business and good ways to grow a business. That is why we need to let businesses either succeed on their own or die on their own. Leaving businesses alone weeds out those who are really not that good in business while allowing those who are to excel. When good business persons excel, businesses make profits and grow.

A business that just maintains itself is a stagnant business that is just waiting for the next bump in the road to kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    Ok...but it still doesn't change the fact that they would be upset.
    Some are upset, others are relieved and even grateful. I've been in business for myself and I work for others. Why do I work for others when I've had my own businesses? Because I am not really a very good businessman and I don't really care for running the business end of a company. I prefer to work for others who are good at business, who will allow me to do what I do as long as I am enhancing the business.

You make one hilarious statement after another. Companies go out of business because they cannot cover their business expenses, period. It has nothing to do with how they compare to the guy down the street.
    It's the same thing. When you can't compete, you can't cover your expenses and you go out of business. You are now arguing my side of this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by barbar View Post
    Surely the argument is about the expectations on a countries population. We in the modern world have high exceptions of what a days work should provide. Are we entitled to our expectations. So Walmart makes a profit, as it should, it suppliers its costumers with what they want, at it should.
    But, is the drive to increase profits (or more likely stock value), having a negative effect on, our expectations.
    If you believe that all that work full time should be allowed to have all reasonable life time cost covered. (education, health care (private or public), housing heat/cooling, food and so on), then these cost do need to be covered directly or indirectly (taxes). So by Walmart and others, paying low, shift productive work out side the region, these cost then do need to be born by others. Which does bring us into a circular argument.
    If you are happy with a highly divisional class system, then the Walmark model is an excellent one, but at the cost of social responsibility.
    Wal-Mart gives MILLIONS back the community.

Lets not forget how Wal-Mart send MILLIONS OF DOLLAR's in food and water to Katrina victims

AND they did it more efficiently than anyone eles in the country. While the Government was still looking for trucks and product to ship to New Orleans. Wal-Mart had THOUSANDS of trucks headed there days before the government could even act.
    The Last four letters

any questions

oooh now we have a problem. your missing the entire point of profit and Profit center in relation business.

Profit encompasses expenses. You need profit to pay expenses, not the other way around......unless your with the governement

Ok let me restate this. I suppose your right, if you don't want your business to grow.
    Profit is not used to pay business expenses. Profit is the taxable portion of a company’s gross income that is not used for operating the company. It is the money that is left over and is over and above all expenses.

A company does need profit if it is happy with not expanding, which most are fine with.

Profit is not used to pay business expenses. Profit is the taxable portion of a company’s gross income that is not used for operating the company. It is the money that is left over and is over and above all expenses.

A company does need profit if it happy with not expanding, which most are fine with.
    ya, after thinking about that, you are correct, I edited my post
    The Last four letters

any questions

Arguing with Randians is futile and tiring. Money rules period end of discussion. They just don't think there is a difference between lawful and moral. Could be why these new conservatives want to remove the rules for making money and create more laws governing morality that way their world can be put back in balance.

Wal-Mart gives MILLIONS back the community.

Lets not forget how Wal-Mart send MILLIONS OF DOLLAR's in food and water to Katrina victims

AND they did it more efficiently than anyone eles in the country. While the Government was still looking for trucks and product to ship to New Orleans. Wal-Mart had THOUSANDS of trucks headed there days before the government could even act.
    Could that be because Wal-mart is already in the shipping business and our goverment is not? Is it also because Wal-Mart has billions of dollars sitting liquid in bank accounts and our government does not.

Them giving millions to Katrina is equal to me handing a bum ten bucks...though it is a nice gesture...with a purpose.

Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171821 ... LastLast