+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My new SC56

Post Likes

My new SC56

So i got my new SC56 today. Opened everything up. Checked the test leads and found the spring in one of the alligator clips to be faulty. If you look at the alligator clips the pop rivet that holds it together also goes thru the spring. the spring on mine doesnt go thru the pop rivet, it is just shoved in there. pretty funny actually. I have new ones coming and am sending these back.

I hope my meter didnt come off the same assembly line. I dont need my meter blowing up when i work on 480v

I will be testing this meter tomorrow when i goto work

Post Likes

Post Likes
    I dont understand why they make the leads sooooooooo short. Come on , really.

How much extra would it cost them to make them longer. maybe 25 cents....

Post Likes
    The leads that come with meters always suck anyway. I keep them as emergency spares, but use Fluke Sure Grip leads with my meters, even my SC56.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber View Post

Really though if they did 10 more people would complain they were too long

X2 on the Fluke Sure Grips. They are great!!
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Are you getting the suregrips at the supply house or online? I need some new leads for my sc77.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber View Post

How long do you need the leads to be?

Everyone?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ault51 View Post

Everyone?
    At least 4ft.

The needle probes need some improvement too. The metal probe fell out of the holder on one of mine. Exerting the slightest pressure to get good contact causes them to bend. Probably why it fell out. No, I don't want them replaced, I wouldn't use them. Thanks anyway. But the SC56 is great. I'll be getting the Fluke needle probes to use with my deluxe Fluke leads.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ar_hvac_man View Post
    Are you getting the suregrips at the supply house or online? I need some new leads for my sc77.
    I got them at the supply house but didn't notice they were the flat blade tips in the kit. They make a few different sets and guess the flat ones are for sticking in outlets and stuff like that. Little tough getting them in a molex plug.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    so it has been 4 days since i got my sc56. today i used it and the sound broke. i have no sound for continuity, volts, NCV.....nothing. anyway i can get a new one and send this one back when i get the new one??

i knew something wasn't right when the alligator clips that came with it were also broken.

bummer

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ault51 View Post

Everyone?
    I bought some Fluke leads that are 50" long, and that is perfect for me. With the original Fieldpiece leads, I sometimes couldn't find a place to hang the meter close enough.

Post Likes
    One thing you need to re-think is where you hold/ put the meter. If you use the clamp, you can often hang it very close to the work piece then rotate it so you can read the screen better. I have a strong magnetic clamp I carry that I can stick onto a cabinet to provide a clamping point most anywhere I need to. The longer leads jammed into that slim case will lead to damaged leads. I would like to see some sort of magnetic strap ala' Fluke. Russell has said putting a magnet on the meter itself can pervert the readings. I have had no problems with my meter, leads or temp. TC.

Post Likes
    I would like to inform everyone that I received a brand new meter today when I got home from work. That took less then 24hours. WoW!

New meter seems to work well and makes sounds.

Thank you Fieldpiece for the prompt service and response.

Post Likes
    So T, aside from the little bit you've gotten to play with it, what do you think?

My wish list for Russell is to make an exterior pocket in the case for the long leads and to make a magnetic hanger strap like Fluke. Otherwise, very pleased and love it. BTW, since I carry a zippered Klein bag in my main bag, I can carry other leads, tips, pipe clamp, etc. in there. For instance, sometimes spade connectors can be so close you don't want to use bare probes within 1/8" of each other. In such a case, I attach insulated T&B solderless female terminals to short jumpers where I can attach me leads with ease and no shorts. I also keep a few female to male brass terminals to extend a male tab out a bit.

Post Likes
    I think the meter is great. i feel like i use all the features all day long right now besides the microamps. nice solid meter. it does worry me a bit that it failed so soon. it still read accurate but no noise!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in