Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Cliplight Superseal

I know I said I'd never use this can of god knows what Super Seal with Dry R, but its happens that I have a customer who has a spacepak system that is 7 years old. The coil was replaced under warranty two years ago due to many formicary corrosion leaks. Now again, two years later, the coil is leaking just as bad as the original. This time it's not a warranty claim. I can tell you they aren't happy as you can imagine. They apparently had been doing research online and came across Cliplight Super Seal Advanced with Dry R. We'll they want it put in even know my recommendations are against it as you can imagine. They had the webpage printed out and the Kit circled!

Has ANYONE had any good experience with this stuff? I've never used it. I'm looking for any advice on installing it tips, tricks, anything. The customer is insisting that I use it because they can't afford a new coil and most likely don't want to waste money on a product they know is going to fail. The system is R410a is that makes a difference. I think most likely they will now will be in the market for a new condenser after I use this product but that not my problem. I can't make decisions for them.

I'm using a set of old analog gauges because I refuse to put my digitals on to any system with this sealant and UV dye.

We'll see what happens.....

Should charge them for the gauges too
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Your time to get a replacement set ain't free either.

I've used it many times. I know I know.. my circumstances at work are unique and like your situation here. If the system is FLAT and you can't pull it to a clean vacuum level don't do it. It reacts to moisturw If the system is fairly dry it wont hurt a thing. Stuff actually works! And it comes with a hose so you don't use your gauges. Let your customer know its not likely permanent and to save up foe the couple years it will save them

Dump some of these "sealants" out and see how it reacts to air/moisture.
    An opinion from a chemist and tradesmen that I have a great deal of respect for concluded in his testing they do not react to air as it escapes from a leak like you are thinking. The product eventually cures within in a system. The cured product will flow thru-out the system and will possibly plug up a leak if thats where it goes or possibly sticks of any other internal component in the path. IMO Its like the junk shot they used in the BP Gulf spill. Defiantly a last resort product.

Itsiceman agree it is absolutely a last resort. I don't think anyone would put this in if they weren't forced to. Just a stop gap (pun intended) to hold off the inevitable foe a while.

I know there is alot of hype about this stuff on both sides of the fence. I work for a company that uses it. In the last few years I couldn't tell you how many cans I have installed. In fact, its usually sold out at most supply houses here in town. I have not personally come across any problems post installation. I have had two cases in which it did not seal the leak, but was easily found with the UV dye it left behind. My service manager loves the stuff, so we use it, and it works. Just my two cents from work experience.

How is it in your gauges? Do you use digital?

Dan
    If you don't notice, I'm doing my job.

Gents, thanks for the good discussion and feedback. The two biggest knocks against our sealant has always been as follows:

1. It locks up compressors.
    2. It doesn't seal.

Super Seal Advanced with Dry R is the newest and best sealant we have ever created and tackles both issues:

1. Super Seal has always and still does react with moisture - at the point of leakage it is designed to react with atmospheric moisture to form a permanent polymer bond at the point of leakage. So, in the past - if a tech did not follow instructions by properly evacuating the system, changing the drier, etc - Super Seal could react with moisture within the system.

Super Seal Advanced now has Dry R in the same can - removing 20 drops of water from a system. So if that same tech installed Super Seal on a "wet" system, the Dry R would remove any moisture before the sealant did its work. It's now a fool proof product.

2. Super Seal isn't made to fix gashes - we know you guys can find those leaks. Clearly on all new packaging: "Recommended for systems that are not losing more than 15% of the entire charge over a four-week period."

To many of your points, we have a prudent mantra at Cliplight: "When you can find the leak, fix it. When you can't - use Super Seal.

Super Seal is the original HVAC sealant and the only product vacuum-packed - it uses the system's own refrigerant as the charge.

Our lab technicians are always available to discuss any system-specific questions any of you may have. Feel free to call our toll-free # at 1.866.548.3644.

Best Regards,

Cliplight Manufacturing Co.

Not sure I've ever heard "it" locks up compressors but running low on charge or running with a restriction without monitoring the system for what ever reason would do it. Couple of questions. Is your product miscible with anything in the refrigeration system before of after it has reacted and how does it travel thru the system IOW how is it delivered to the leak(s) site? Will it continue to travel after it has reacted or will it find something else to stick to if it isn't a leak? Is it able to stick to oily metal or does it just block the leak? Also any recommendations on how to open up a system for service after the product has been injected?

if the system has a leak how are you supposed to ensure dryness before using your "product"? evacuation would pull in air.

More corporate hype.

Ok so watched a couple of videos on your site and got more questions. How fast will the product react in the presence of air or water? Is air slower than water. Is the hose that comes with the product a sealing type of connection that needs to be depressed to flow? Dr.Z on your site shows using a vacuum pump and Cliplite shows purging the hose.
    Why does the can of Super Seal get warm as it empties from the can? Warming would indicate a reaction is taking place right there IMO.
    Also on a magnified view of a generated leak there appears to be solidified material too small at first and passes. Then what appears to be a UV light of some kind kickstarting some more of a reaction to speed things up. Then a larger chunk gets trapped as if it was too large to pass the opening leaving the outside hole still exposed. so it must be sealing from the inside out. Unless somebody can prove otherwise I say it is just as I assumed in the previous post with moisture or heat from compression only speeding the chemical reaction already in the works. Discharge and compressor body temp is a test shown in the video to not use the product if the system is too hot along with temp diff on the filter drier.

Some interesting reading here

http://www.dowcorning.com/content/di...e-systems.aspx

Here is the Cliplite Super Seal video I watched

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAkjZ...ture=endscreen

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast