Oil and oxygen don't mix

I was wondering if anyone had information on an incident that happened I believe in the '70's when a tech was replacing a compressor on a refrigerator and tried to clear the cap tube with oxygen. I remember a slide show showing the results. I am now teaching at a technical college and I wanted to use it for one of my classes.
    Thanks,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by GeoJohn View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had information on an incident that happened I believe in the '70's when a tech was replacing a compressor on a refrigerator and tried to clear the cap tube with oxygen. I remember a slide show showing the results. I am now teaching at a technical college and I wanted to use it for one of my classes.
    Thanks,
    John

I don't have any about that particular event but while in the Air Force oxygen servicing for the liquid oxygen converters covered training about the dangers. When servicing converters they will vent pure oxygen when full. A lot. Spontaneous combustion can occur with no source of ignition. Only close call I heard of was while a system was being serviced the vented oxygen got close to an outrigger and the tech discribed a very strange plume for several seconds. It got his attention.
    Very good to teach of this danger. Maybe because of my AF training using oxygen for anything other than what should be never occured to me.
    "What Fools these mortals be"....Puck

Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Oil, ice, air, and turkey:

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/20...tter-fire-bird

Read the comment below the article which suggests turning off the fire before dropping your bird.

DO NOT heed the advice of the other comments about deep frying below the article. They were written by idiots who think they know what they are talking about, and who make very stupid assumptions.
    Last edited by Space Racer; 11-22-2012 at 04:53 PM.
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

If I'm not mistaken, there was a pipefitter here in Chicago quite a few years back who got killed leak checking a system with oxygen.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them