Post Likes

Confused Where do you buy your parts?

I'm sure this subject must have been addressed in the past.
    I buy most of my parts from Allpoints. I always get good pricing and very fast delivery. I recently got an email from PRP1000. Their prices are also very good and they also ship fast. Both of these places discount the list price enough so that I can charge my customer list and still make a reasonable profit on parts. Where do you guys get your parts?

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Never heard of PRP1000. I'll have to scope out their website (http://prp1000.com/)

I can't offer much on pricing, but I'll toss you some info about quality of the parts you receive.

I used to work for GCS (Ecolab). I'm in-house now and, ironically, they're our preferred parts vendor (but not mine). I'll only suggest that you look your parts over carefully. I've witnessed how they ship their parts...over and over again. They remove original factory boxes and packaging to save space, so delicate and expensive stuff like printed circuit boards get scaled down into zip-lok baggies and may have been shipped at the bottom of the heap in their palletized...three-foot-high pile of parts received at your local warehouse. THIS END UP and FRAGILE are meaningless phrases in these scenarios.

I don't know if this is standard practice with other suppliers. However, if you receive your several-hundred-dollar circuit board in a baggie and the ESD-safe pink bubble wrap around it has holes in it from shipment wear, I suggest you open and inspect it before walking away with it.
    Dynamic pump seals are another. I KNOW that whoever makes those DO package them with care inside a little box to keep them safe. Again...if you receive yours with no box and they're rolling around in a baggie instead, then I'd suggest shopping for parts elsewhere.

I used to use take care in not mentioning such stuff about my former company, but time has passed and I don't care anymore. Besides, WE (my current company) get parts from them in the same dilapidated state that I *****ed about when I worked for them (my former company). (<
    OUR other parts sources are FMP, Heritage and Whaley's. No problems with the latter two. BUT...

You gotta be careful about FMP. They'll substitute cheaper variations for what you presumed to be an OEM part. I ended up throwing away a whole a whole batch of Frymaster ignition cables we got from them recently. They were all junk. I knew they weren't OEM when I saw them. I had installed a few of them on a fryer, but then I needed to pull several loose at their boot to disconnect them for some testing. The fryer hadn't even been put back into service yet. When I pulled as I normally do, the boot and terminal stayed on the ignition module or ignitor electrode while the wire came out in my hand. They weren't crimped on properly.
    Furthermore, I got to looking closer to find they were straight wire stranded-type core. NO resistance. OEM cables (like modern spark plug cables) are resistance type carbon-impregnated fiber core (so OEM Frymaster cables should read 1kΩ) - which is a necessity around sensitive electronic control boards to reduce ignition current flow and the potential for electro-magnetic interference. I don't know what kind of problems I might've had if I'd put that fryer back into service with those cables in it.

Just offering some things to look out for. I've gotten to where I scrutinize every part we receive due to some of the maligned practices of our suppliers.

Of course, manufacturers aren't perfect either. I once ordered an ice-cube type relay, received it and drove across town to put it in. NOTHING! Didn't work. WTF? I took the relay apart and...there was NOTHING IN IT! No coil. No contacts. NOTHING.
    ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

Post Likes
    I've been in the business for 22 years. I like allpoints for supplies and I buy a lot from them but buy your OEMs from a good parts distributor. It depends on where you're located. Find a good one close to you that stocks a lot and gives you a good discount. Also one that has a hassle free return and warranty policy. Be a loyal customer and pay them promptly. That way you won't be afraid to ask for a bigger discount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Ebay if the customer can wait ...

I've come across a ton of deals where people get a box of stuff , flea markets maybe ? and dont know what stuff is worth

Got a Fryer thermostat for 30 bucks not long ago

Post Likes
    Well, in most cases my local dealers do not have a nice choice of parts that I need, so I have to search it online and pay for the delivery.

the Ebay is a good option if you have enough time to wait...

I ordered several times from them https://www.mrosupply.com/#products and I can say for sure, the final outcome was always satisfactory

Post Likes
    https://www.heritageparts.com

Prices are great. Shipping is fast and free. Great customer service, too.
    With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run.

Post Likes
    Heritage is a great place to buy parts. They have great customer service. Every time I buy from them it is an OEM part which is good.

Post Likes
    Heritage X 3

Post Likes
    Allpoints is first then FMP (which is a sister company), Heritage then 3wire

RHS fro refrigeration

I have had bad experiences with heritage - people going on vacation and order sitting on their desk till they return.
    To make it worse when I called about the failure and wanted the part overnight Heritage wanted to charge me

Allpoints makes good on sales and goes the extra mile for customers. Had a part overnight from IL after hours

Post Likes
    I buy most of my OEM parts from Heritage. Just a one man shop, but I do enough volume that Heritage keeps bumping my discount up without me asking! Allpoints for anything generic. I've had some bad experiences with Allpooints subbing generic when I want oem; their policy is well stated. However, Heritage gives me a better discount than Allpoints. Not Partstown! PT plays a game of 2% discount for this, 16% for that, and 28% discount for something else. I prefer RHS over Allpoints for cold side. General Parts gives me almost as good a discount as Heritage, but they are an added day away for ground ship. And The best price I can get for Hobart oem is from Hobart (with no discount from Hobart.)

I try to only install oem parts. I've had some bad experiences, and when it is MY name and reputation, I have to re-fix it. There is a subtle difference between oem and generic operation.

Heritage now has teams of parts people. I toured their offices. My lead parts person sits in a four person ....what to call it?... cube farm? picture an "X" with desks toward the center... If my lead is not available, the call rolls to her teammates. If I say, I spoke a to someone earlier... they can ask their teammates. Requests for parts info is usually immediately emailed as a quote even while I am on the phone. They have the parts people and customers arranged according to type. Service techs have different needs than in-house maintenance, and such.

I can confirm what ECtofix says about GCS. The reason is that so many parts and warehouse did not know what they were doing, that wrong parts got sent out. Then returned with marked or damaged packaging. So they had to hide that damage so it's put into a new baggie. Rule of thumb: Any board seal that has been opened before it came to you needs to be reported before you touch it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by happytechguy View Post
    ...I can confirm what ECtofix says about GCS. The reason is that so many parts and warehouse did not know what they were doing, that wrong parts got sent out. Then returned with marked or damaged packaging. So they had to hide that damage so it's put into a new baggie. Rule of thumb: Any board seal that has been opened before it came to you needs to be reported before you touch it.
    I meant to add that GCS/Ecolab went with a 3rd party warehouse vendor a few years back. After all it is just a part number, right? The warehouse person doesn't need to know what the part is, how sensitive it is, or what damage looks like, right? Also a few years back, they fired all the parts people whose job was dedicated to helping in-house techs get the right part.

Post Likes
    Parts town and 3wire

Post Likes
    Heritage, allpoints, partstown and whaley foodservice
    http://acfwb.com/

"The best preparation for good work tomorrow is to do good work today"

14. Likes caheiman30 liked this post