Thread: Pulling Permits

Pulling Permits

I recently started working for a company and am looking for some input from others in HVAC. The company I work for isn't licensed to work in a couple of cities in our area but I am. Now they want me to be the license holder so that they can pull permits and do work in these cities. I'm wondering what is the best way to be compensated for this, hourly, by permit, a flat fee for the year.

By permit.

Since this is the first time I would be doing this I'm just trying to figure out how much it would be worth. By permit would probably be best but I don't know if I would have an accurate count of how many permits were pulled using my license.

For sure by permit, and make sure you can keep track independently of what they pay you.
    You'll also want to make sure they pay any reinspection fees and correct all their deficient jobs promptly.
    A friend of mine got burned badly by a shady employer doing the same thing.

Just remember, Permit pulled in your name on your licence is your problem.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

I would tell them to get there own license.
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

Had a moment, I would check with your state licensing, I am pretty sure if you pull a permit for them 1 it has to be billed through you 2 its your baby, your ass on the line and 3 you would be in violation for subbing to an unlicensed contractor. There are ways around this but I think it would be having your license transfered into their trade name. Which should result in a fairly fat compensation that you are happy with or tell them to get their own license