Thread: King valve - does it require cooling when brazing

Post Likes

King valve - does it require cooling when brazing

Another observation when my evaporator was replaced. King valve at the condenser had no cooling when the filter dryer was brazed in, but he did do a good job of cooling the TXV. Whats the best practice on king valves when brazing - cooling required or not?

I've also since learned that the filter dryer really should have been installed up at the evaporator. Reason for re-installing at the condenser was "because thats where the old one was".

Post Likes
    no reason to install at evaporator...thats a load of bull.... cooling the valve depends on the torch... and how fast it was done... and how close drier was....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    Actually, we in ocean side resort areas install them @ the evap. I have replaced so many rotted dryers from salt corrosion... That was until the copper spun dryers came out. Other than that it doesnt matter the placement of the dryer...as long as there is one.

On the king valve, I have never cooled them while brazing, I will cool after though

Post Likes
    GOOD POINT..... I can understand putting it inside under those conditions..... serves same purpose inside or out though.....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    Its good practice to wrap the valve with a wet rag before brazing surely wont hurt any thing on the drier as long as it has one

Post Likes
    actually it's bad to put the drier up at the evaporator in a hot attic environment. One purpose of the DRIER is to dry the refrigerant (capture any moisture not pulled out during a vacuum). If that drier is up in an attic where the temps are above the evaporation point of water. Well guess what. the moisture that he drier has captured suddenly evaporates and is pushed back into the system. And yes I'm in an excessively corrosive environment, and yes we do see driers up in the attic. But it's not the best place for them.

Post Likes
    I`ve used this stuff called Hot Damn . It`s red in color and reuseable , it will keep the heat from destroying valves and TXV`s
    GOOD WORK IS NOT CHEAP! AND CHEAP WORK IS NOT GOOD!

IF YOU THINK A GOOD HVAC COMPANY IS EXPENSIVE. THEN YOU SHOULD TRY A BAD ONE.

Post Likes
    The sporlan txv rep recommended dryers be placed as close to the txv as possible for best protection of the txv. he also strongly advised good nitrogen flow during brazing, and a proper micron test during evacuation to eliminate any traces of moisture before charging. also that the dryer be of solid core type, not the bead style of dryer.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vstech View Post
    The sporlan txv rep recommended dryers be placed as close to the txv as possible for best protection of the txv. he also strongly advised good nitrogen flow during brazing, and a proper micron test during evacuation to eliminate any traces of moisture before charging. also that the dryer be of solid core type, not the bead style of dryer.
    Good advice.

All air handlers &/or furnaces are not installed in attics; in WI they are normally in the basement; I wish there were none installed in attics anywhere...

Post Likes
    A "King Valve" is the liquid line shut off valve at a receiver tank. A liquid line service valve is what you find on outdoor units. I ALWAYS wrap and cool with water ANY valve that I solder in, or very close to.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac-learning View Post
    I`ve used this stuff called Hot Damn . It`s red in color and reuseable , it will keep the heat from destroying valves and TXV`s
    I just heard about that stuff recently myself. I'm looking to try some

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in