Thread: Carrier Infinity HVAC Thermostat Temp not chaning

Post Likes

Carrier Infinity HVAC Thermostat Temp not chaning

I have a carrier Infinity Gas furnace and AC system. The problem we are having is that it is not very cool in the house, relative to outside temp despite very cool Temps for N. VA at this time(only been mid to high 80's). The Thermostat is a "User Interface" that has lot more options/setting than just schedule and temp. We have had HVAC guys come out and the unit is working fine. The temp going in and coming out are within parameters. Despite running the AC 24/7 and having it set at 70(for testing purposes) we can never get the thermostat to drop below 75. It always reads between 75-80. I have put a thermometer on the thermostat and the thermometer will adjust more than the thermostat. I might sound crazy, but for testing purposes, I've TRIED to get the temp in the house to "freezing" mode, like below 70 and I can not. it is almost like the system has a mind of its own and won't do what I tell it to do.
    The system is 5 years old. We bought the house a month ago, so I have no history on how it was installed or know how it works. The previous owner was in his 80's and i don't think he minded the temp being 78+.
    Any suggestions on how this "advance" system works would be great because the HVAC company that comes out seems not to know anything about computer controlled HVAC and never looks at the user interface.

Post Likes
    Moved to AOP residential forum.

Post Likes
    If you've had companies that have come out who won't look at the user interface I'd say it's time for a new company. If your system is a true Infinity indoor and out you need to find someone who understands how they work and how to check the settings for the system. The previous owner may have locked out 2nd stage cooling, intentionally or not, or there may be a problem with the system. Model #s of the indoor and outdoor units would help determine what exactly you have, since there are a few kinds of "Infinity" systems out there. I'd suggest finding a contractor who is familiar with the system and setup and letting him go through your system to determine what's going on.

Post Likes
    Flyersfan - here is the model numbers
    58 cva110 ( I think for the furance)
    AC 2 Stage 38TBD03630

I think you are correct in getting some one else out. The company that came 3 times just checks the temp. One time, the guy walked by the User Interface and said "Yea, I am not touching that". The 3rd time, an engineer came out and he only wanted to sell me adding zones to my system, which I understand will help, but if i can't get the first floor cool, would zoning REALLY solve the issue.

Post Likes
    You need an Infinity wise company/technician. Would you go to a Ford dealer for a Toyota problem? All HVAC companies are NOT the same. The Infinity system is a very sophisticated system and actually has the capability, in the right hands, to help diagnose a problem. If you can't find a Carrier company, try a Bryant company. The Bryant Evolution system is identical to the Carrier Infinity.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    The 38TDB is not really a true Infinity communicating outdoor unit even though it is a 2 stage outdoor unit. Your problem may be something as simple as a setup error in the controller or a wiring issue. Maybe just running in low stage all the time. If you can't find somebody from the contractor map that can deal with your problem you can get a Carrier dealer from their website

Post Likes
    We're a Bryant dealer so I'm not as familiar with the Carrier numbers. If the outdoor unit in question doesn't have an ABCD connection, then it probably needs a network interface module between the air handler and the outdoor unit. The User Interface talks to the blower unit, in this case the air handler. If the air handler can't connect to the outdoor unit with communications, then the User Interface needs to be told it's controlling a 2-stage system. Normally that works but if not, a Network Interface module should be added.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in