I'm thinking of buying a heat exchanger inspection camera and wanted to see if anybody has a brand that they recommend or don't recommend and why? Thanks.

We have 10 service vans on the road and each has one of these.
    http://www.shamrockindustries.com/sh.../default.shtml
    The service Technician all agreed that we would drill a hole if possible between the top of the furnace and the bottom of the AC pan if possible. I have found the odd furnace that I can get the cameras head through the high limit if removed. They also agreed to do a cam inspection on anything older that 5 years. Not sure if this is alright. I am the junior guy so I just go with the flow. Today I had room to drill a hole through the plenum and the back of the delta plate to gain access to the heat exchanger. Patched with tin tape pushed through the first hole and sealed the delta plate and them sealed the plenum. The unit was a Fridgeaire mid with a tubular heat exchanger that was six years old and in great shape. I use a step drill bit that is just a little bigger than the camera head nice and neat. Some guys just hack a hole with a screw driver and then tin snips all different sizes. I went to a school in St.Louis for a one week course and the teacher recommonded a step drill bit. Works out great.

[Edited by ptemko on 09-11-2006 at 06:03 PM]

The step bit the teacher told me to get was $90 Canadian at Home Depot so I found this on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/GREENLEE-KWIK-STE...QQcmdZViewItem

Alot cheaper and same brand as Home Depot.

Originally posted by ptemko
    The step bit the teacher told me to get was $90 Canadian at Home Depot so I found this on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/GREENLEE-KWIK-STE...QQcmdZViewItem

Alot cheaper and same brand as Home Depot.
    Thanks for the info.I appreciate it.

costco & sams ussually have really nice sets of step bits for around 20 bux
    The Captain.

Go to the FYI forum and look through the heat exchanger inspection thread. It has a couple links to different camera system. The one from Visible Defects probably has the smallest camera head call a cigarette lens.

I did the math and I figure im about 392 toys short of having everything I need.. yah really.

I was looking at the inspection camera's and they look real awesome but very pricey. So I was thinking maybe it's possible to skimp on the camera for checking cracked HX and plugged evaps that aren't easily accesible.

Even if one does get the inspection camera you will likely need a magnahelix in the future as well a cO detector. A good to decent cO detector is less expensive then an inspection camera and more effective, less time consuming, less guess work and so on.

Does anybody know what type of cO detectors the gas company uses? I would like to get the specs on it and compare that to one which is easier to find.
    Of course you can get a battery operated cO monitor from home depot or lowe's, being the cheapest option.

And a magnahelic is something we would need besides an inspection camera as well, inspection camera isnt helping you determine cfm value's for ducting right.

So to sum it up I think it's cheaper to get a cO detector and a Magnahelic guage as oppose to an inspection camera, a cO detector and a magnahelic guage.
    gahh

The heat exchanger camera would be nice for the times when you have to tell the customer that they have a cracked heat exchanger.They would actually be able to see it on the video screen.I have at times tryed to show them the crack but they have no idea what they are looking at.