Thread: natural gas line pressure test

Post Likes

natural gas line pressure test

Hi all,

For a final check (inspection is coming soon), my gas pipe was pumped up to 15 PSI. Over two weeks the gauge has dropped to around 6.5 PSI. When I checked the first night it was still right at 15, and I think (?) a day or two later as well. Then I didn't check it so often. 2 days ago it was at 7.5 PSI. With such a slow leak I'm sure that it will still pass inspection (around here it just has to hold pressure for 15 minutes), but should I be concerned at all? Or is it probably not even the lines but the cheap gauge causing the slow trickle?

Thanks!

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=Cascadian;13983001]Hi all,

For a final check (inspection is coming soon), my gas pipe was pumped up to 15 PSI. Over two weeks the gauge has dropped to around 6.5 PSI. When I checked the first night it was still right at 15, and I think (?) a day or two later as well. Then I didn't check it so often. 2 days ago it was at 7.5 PSI. With such a slow leak I'm sure that it will still pass inspection (around here it just has to hold pressure for 15 minutes), but should I be concerned at all? Or is it probably not even the lines but the cheap gauge causing the slow trickle?

Thanks![/QUOTE

Soap each joint and fitting

Post Likes
    It's leaking fix it ! Pump it back up and do a soap test.

Or leave it and make sure you tell the inspector about your leak

Post Likes
    My plumber has told me of one case where he couldn't find the leak with soap. The leak was a tiny void in the cast fitting. An elbow I think. I think he started taking pipe apart and capping a section and working back until it would hold pressure. This was the only tiem it ever happened to him. But he's only been a master plumber for maybe 15 years.

Post Likes
    Let it fail inspection and let contractor make repairs, if it passes you may get stuck with a leaking gas line. It will all be documented for future this way

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    My plumber has told me of one case where he couldn't find the leak with soap. The leak was a tiny void in the cast fitting. An elbow I think. I think he started taking pipe apart and capping a section and working back until it would hold pressure. This was the only tiem it ever happened to him. But he's only been a master plumber for maybe 15 years.
    Thus the reason for checking each joint and fitting. If the right leak solution is used and low pressure the bubbles will form a honeycomb effect and increase in size, then rinse once leak has been found.

Post Likes
    Could be the temperature. Pretty hard to get leaks in gas pipe but it happens.

Post Likes
    When is a leak a leak or not a leak? Our gas code calls for new work in a residential application (.5 psi) test to be 3 psig for 10 minutes with no loss. In fact, gas cocks has a legal leak rate so expecting a system to test for 7-days with zero pressure loss is expecting more than can normally be delivered. Any leak that fails 3 psig within 10-minutes is definitely a leak to be located and repaired. BTB, existing work is tested at 1.5-psig!!
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    leak should be found and repaired.
    i just went back to a gas line i installed 3 weeks ago to remove pressure test and hook line up to furnace.
    had 15 psi when i put it on and 15 psi 3 weeks later.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    leak should be found and repaired.
    i just went back to a gas line i installed 3 weeks ago to remove pressure test and hook line up to furnace.
    had 15 psi when i put it on and 15 psi 3 weeks later.

My parents just bought a forclosed house built in 03'. Only had gas logs and never a bottle hooked up. Still has 15 psig on the gauge 6 yrs later. Just so happens I was the contractor on the house for hvac and gas. I am asking for a raise in the morning

Post Likes
    We use rector seal, the yellow slop, #5 I'f I remember right. Teflon is against gas code I thought? 15 psi should be easy to hold, it's Probably a minor issue someone forgot to tighten something maybe.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in