Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    3 months ago, a new AC unit was installed in my home. Today I removed the cover to change my filter and discovered the current filter was not in place. It had fallen through the opening to the floor, so it is possible I have been running my AC for 3 months without a filter.

    What are the consequences of this? Could this have damaged the unit?

    Also, does this have anything to do with the creation of carbon monoxide?

    I have been experiencing swelling, muscle soreness and fatigue for 6 weeks or so. My doctor ran tests (not for cm) and put me on a diuretic which isn't helping, but it occurred to me when I found the "no filter" scenario, that maybe this could possibly be the problem. I don't have carbon monoxide detectors now, but I will be getting some tomorrow.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    184
    It's summer and in most parts of the country, most folks are running the cooling portion of their air conditioning systems. Unless you've been running your gas furnace, there is no chance of getting carbon monoxide from your furnace. What will happen with running your system with no filter is that the indoor coil may become dirty. It may be a good idea to have the coil check and cleaned if neccessary.

  3. #3
    Thank you very much. I live in Georgia, and have most definitely been running the cooling system.

    Thanks again.

    Kathy

  4. #4
    If you were running any length of time with no filter...have someone clean the coil for sure. It now has some dirt and things caught in the coil whicjh can lead to mold buildup. That could be some of the trouble with your health issues. If the new unit is not removing the humidity from you home when it is running, this can also add to the mold problems. Have a good service company do a coil clean and system check for you....money well spent.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    184
    Kathy, if you have not run the heating portion of your HVAC system, the is no carbon monoxide. CO is a product of combustion.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    5,304
    What kind of water heater do you have and where? Have you checked the flue pipe on that?

  7. #7
    Thanks, everyone, for your responses.

    I have a gas hot water heater located in my laundry room. What do you mean by checking the flue pipe? It's still there. Do you mean checking for CO near it?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    5,304
    The metal pipe on top of the middle of the water heater that exhaust the fume to the outdoors.. Just make sure it has not come undone, and also put your hand around the draft hood, when the dryer is running, and see if any draft is coming to the home.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event