Replace 17 y.o. oversized HVAC?

Replace 17 y.o. oversized HVAC?

Hi,
    I greatly appreciate the help with the main floor system in my house by the way (other posts).

My master bedroom area is 1,000 sq ft, it has an astoundingly high 3 ton air conditioner, 10 seer, and a 80k btu 90% efficient trane furnace. Single stage for both.

The rooms are always the correct temp, no humidity etc. But now that I know what short cycling is, it is slowly eating away at me when the air conditioner comes on for a few minutes, and shuts right back down, same with the heater. But I can of course live with it.

Is there any way I could justify financially replacing them with correctly sized (and multi stage for both) equipment? Does oversized significantly change the efficiency?---would a 90% furnace, sort of become a 80%, a 10 seer airconditioner an 8 seer?

Steve.

if your comfortable ....relax and enjoy...replace it when it breaks...
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Quote Originally Posted by carmon View Post
    if your comfortable ....relax and enjoy...replace it when it breaks...
    +1

That is unless you have money burning a hole in your my pocket and want to help the economy.
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

figure out the cost to replace a working system ....then figure the pay back,,,, i await your response
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

oops sorry i was confused ...old man syndrome