condensate drain to sump pump pit??

Hi,
    My air conditioner condensate pump drains to a covered sump pump pit. The sump pump has never turned on, either from the condensate or from rain. The basement is dry, even when we had that recent hurricane.

My home inspector 3 years ago said the condensate should be pipped outside, not in the sump hole. Is this true? Is it doing any harm?

Thanks.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by central nj View Post
    Hi,
    My air conditioner condensate pump drains to a covered sump pump pit. The sump pump has never turned on, either from the condensate or from rain. The basement is dry, even when we had that recent hurricane.

My home inspector 3 years ago said the condensate should be pipped outside, not in the sump hole. Is this true? Is it doing any harm?

Thanks.
    Steve
    You home inspector is a dork.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by central nj View Post
    Hi,

Thanks.
    Steve
    Your sump pump should be exercised regularly, by adding the condensate to the pit will not hurt anything. periodically run water into the pit and let pump run for short period

Its a good place for condensate IMO. Tons of humidity here and very little rain so the condensate kicks the pump on about once a day. The pump needs to run like S.O. said

hvacvegas, second opinion, ar hvac man----A+++++, thanks. Steve.

... is there a condensing gas furnace attached to the drain line too? condensing gas furnaces have an acidic discharge, and it'll damage most sump pumps. aside from that, I see NOTHING wrong with piping a/c condensate to a properly connected sump pump.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

Quote Originally Posted by vstech View Post
    ... is there a condensing gas furnace attached to the drain line too? condensing gas furnaces have an acidic discharge, and it'll damage most sump pumps. aside from that, I see NOTHING wrong with piping a/c condensate to a properly connected sump pump.
    the dilution rate of the water in the crock and the furnace condensate will not have any effect on the pump

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    too.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-15-2012 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Non AOP member