Thread: Kenmore window ac unit type Freon

Post Likes

Kenmore window ac unit type Freon

I have an old Kenmore window unit(15 + years old) 110V The unit has no lable or model number
    that I can find. I need to know what type Freon these units used. The unit is probably 8K BTUH
    unit and I want to add freon to it because it is built into a wall and I don't want to take it out if I can fix it. This is a shot in the dark but I'm hoping someone recalls whether these units used F12 or F22

Post Likes
    First, read the rules. This site is not for DIY.
    Second, YOU can't fix it legally.
    Third, if it is 15 years old, replace it. It has served its purpose.

Post Likes
    Has to come out of the wall anyway to do repairs. It's cheaper to buy a new one,which will be 410A.

Post Likes
    Would cost more for someone with the tools to fix it than a new one would cost. Scrap it

Post Likes
    its a boat anchor ... get rid of it.....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    First: I am not asking anyone to tell me how to fix anything.
    Second: I can fix it legally if I want to. I have had an unrestricted H&AC license here in Georgia since 1957 and I attend schools every year as required to keep it.
    Third: I understand it is uneconomical for me to repair it but I have my reasons. People spend tons of money to fix 1935 Fords etc. which have surely served their purpose.
    If you can't answer the question why give me a lesson based on your asumptions.
    Thank all of you for the replies anyway .

Post Likes
    The plate should be one the right side of the case as you are facing it. It sounds like it is covered up because it is built in. If you've been in the business that long, you know when R12 got fazed out. I would think a 500 series would be a more likely odd ball to find in a 15 plus year old unit. But I haven't seen one.

Georgia has required a license since 1957? Glad I live in Misery.

jim
    Common sense isn't very common anymore.

Post Likes
    Look at the nameplate on top of the compressor dome, if you can get to it. Should say what refrigerant it is made for.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    There is no name plate on the case. A name plate is down on the side of the compressor but it was not filled out.
    There is a 1" X 5" receiver in the suction line before it goes into the compressor. The receiver has the number 12 stenciled in white on its side. The compressor also has a 12 stenciled on the top.
    In the absence of other information I am assuming that the the unit was charged with F12
    This thing may be much older than 15 years. It is big and heavy, made in the USA and has about three times the coil size of the Chinese stuff we get now. A leak has been repaired and it is holding a vacumm
    while on life support. Like someone said its not worth fixing but I'm having fun. Thank U all

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jim147 View Post
    Glad I live in Misery.
    Thats the first time i heard someone say that.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kimsanamm View Post
    There is no name plate on the case. A name plate is down on the side of the compressor but it was not filled out.
    There is a 1" X 5" receiver in the suction line before it goes into the compressor. The receiver has the number 12 stenciled in white on its side. The compressor also has a 12 stenciled on the top.
    In the absence of other information I am assuming that the the unit was charged with F12
    This thing may be much older than 15 years. It is big and heavy, made in the USA and has about three times the coil size of the Chinese stuff we get now. A leak has been repaired and it is holding a vacumm
    while on life support. Like someone said its not worth fixing but I'm having fun. Thank U all
    If there's a "receiver" in the suction line, it's typically called an accumulator. Receivers can't work in a suction line because there is no liquid in that line (or at least there should not be any liquid there!).

Since you have no helpful info for that unit it's then a crapshoot what to do regarding the charge. You could shoot some R12 in there (you happen to have some of that sitting around?) and watch your gauges, superheat, and subcool. No go, you could then repeat with R22. The "12" you see stamped on there could mean anything, from R12 to a way to identify the compressor with the device in the suction line. Who knows?
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in