Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help in deciding between Trane and Rheem...

Post Likes

Need help in deciding between Trane and Rheem...

I have to make a decision between Rheem and Trane within the next day or so and I'd appreciate any feedback.

I have a townhouse built in 1988 that still has the original Rheem furnace and A/C (2 ton I think). This is now a rental unit, so due to conversion expense, I'm stuck with an 80% unit. I've had 4 estimates (including NJ PSE&G) and no one has done a load calc... all say I don't need it. Closest thing that was done is 2 contractors took measurements of the downstairs (said they didn't need to go upstairs). I don't have time for more estimates, so I've decided based on who I think is the best contractor (A+ BBB). These numbers included all costs, including permits (Trane is approx $60 more then Rheem)...

TRANE
    XL80 2-Stage (TUD2B060A9362A)
    XB13 2.5 ton Condenser (4TTB3030E1000A)
    XB series Coil (4FXCB036AC3CAA)

Rheem

3 ton 13 Seer Cased Coil (RCFL-HM3617CC)
    2.5 ton Value Series 13 Seer Condensing Unit (13AJA30A01)
    RGPQ 2-Stage (75,000 BTU)

Note: Furnaces are not variable speed... the extra cost is not justified in a rental unit.

Thanks

Tom

Post Likes
    The AOP forums/Ask Our Pro's forums, are restricted to only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC to post advise, questions or commentary in a thread created by someone else. You need to apply for your vetting/* if you wish to participate in threads in the AOP forums. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-14-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Post Likes
    both are the same 10 years (5 if not registered in 90 days) and life time on the heat exchanger. 1 year labor from the Contractor.

Post Likes
    Bump up one notch from the value series condensing unit. Rheem.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber View Post
    Bump up one notch from the value series condensing unit. Rheem.
    Timber, would you be able to direct me to a specific unit?

Thanks

Post Likes
    Either would be fine ,as i am more familiar with Trane that would be my choice .i would add a 5 inch media filter being its a rental , that way the indoor unit will stay clean also would get the 10 year part and lobor warranty on yhe system

Post Likes
    Either would be fine ,as i am more familiar with Trane that would be my choice .i would add a 5 inch media filter being its a rental , that way the indoor unit will stay clean also would get the 10 year part and labor warranty on the system

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    Either would be fine ,as i am more familiar with Trane that would be my choice .i would add a 5 inch media filter being its a rental , that way the indoor unit will stay clean also would get the 10 year part and labor warranty on the system
    You're stuttering again.

Post Likes
    Rheem A/C is a "dry" unit meant to be filled with R22. Did you mean 13AJN low end 410 unit?

Palm Desert home, Bear Valley Springs home & Maui condo
    Post Likes
    Ask for a quote on a Rheem RANL condenser

Furnace quoted is an 80% 2 stage w/ PSC motor. I have rentals & I wouldn't waste my money on 2 stage anything in a rental. I'd go with the RGPN furnace.
    That would be a good dependable system.
    Make sure filters get changed. Upgrade to better filter wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd at least use a filter base.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TomDx View Post
    Timber, would you be able to direct me to a specific unit?

Thanks
    Any of the classic series

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Rheem A/C is a "dry" unit meant to be filled with R22. Did you mean 13AJN low end 410 unit?
    The 13AJA is what is written in the quote... I have to speak to the Contractor tomorrow... I assume it is just typo.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    Ask for a quote on a Rheem RANL condenser

Furnace quoted is an 80% 2 stage w/ PSC motor. I have rentals & I wouldn't waste my money on 2 stage anything in a rental. I'd go with the RGPN furnace.
    That would be a good dependable system.
    Make sure filters get changed. Upgrade to better filter wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd at least use a filter base.
    The reason I'm considering the 2 stage is because the upstairs gets considerably hotter than the downstairs, and I thought it might help. Am I misinformed?

Thanks

Post Likes
    2 stage furnace is for heat only. 70% & 100% fire.
    Won't help for cool.
    Existing cooling coil may be dirty, affecting 2nd floor cooling. They need to look at the ducts too when replacing the equipment.

Post Likes
    I also would opt for a sgl stage furnace-80% with high eff blower, no more than a 60 KBTU model.

Trane XT80, Rheem RGPT

I don't like that low end Rheem condenser. The Trane is better. And before I went up in size on condenser, I would want to see a load calc in writing to support that decision.

I like the idea of a filter media cabinet for a rental. Changeout up to one year.

IMO
    Good Luck!

Post Likes
    I missed going from 2 ton to 2 1/2 ton.
    Increased ESP may make cooling on second floor even more of an issue. Throwing bigger a/c at a cooling issue is rarely a good idea.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    I also would opt for a sgl stage furnace-80% with high eff blower, no more than a 60 KBTU model.

Trane XT80, Rheem RGPT

I don't like that low end Rheem condenser. The Trane is better. And before I went up in size on condenser, I would want to see a load calc in writing to support that decision.

I like the idea of a filter media cabinet for a rental. Changeout up to one year.

IMO
    Good Luck!
    If I go with the Rheem my choice is either a 50k BTU or a 75k BTU... so do I go up or down from the 60k you suggest?

Isn't the media filter something like $400 to $500 extra? With this being a rental unit, is there a benefit to me in that additional expense?

Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    I missed going from 2 ton to 2 1/2 ton.
    Increased ESP may make cooling on second floor even more of an issue. Throwing bigger a/c at a cooling issue is rarely a good idea.
    Sorry I wasn't clear. When I said the upstairs was significantly hotter than the downstairs, I was referring to heating in the winter. That's why I was thinking the 2-stage would help. But maybe I need a unit with a high efficiency blower?

Thanks

Post Likes
    Take the 050 model in either of the Rheem furnaces mentioned.

IMO

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TomDx View Post
    Sorry I wasn't clear. When I said the upstairs was significantly hotter than the downstairs, I was referring to heating in the winter. That's why I was thinking the 2-stage would help. But maybe I need a unit with a high efficiency blower?

Thanks
    Adding a return to 2nd floor & duct upgrades are the correct way to fix upstairs. Throwing big furnaces & multi stage PSC & ECM motors at it is not the answer.

50k furnace is sufficient. the 75k w/ the 3 ton drive I'd avoid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in