Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    2 stage furnace is for heat only. 70% & 100% fire.
    Won't help for cool.
    Existing cooling coil may be dirty, affecting 2nd floor cooling. They need to look at the ducts too when replacing the equipment.

I also would opt for a sgl stage furnace-80% with high eff blower, no more than a 60 KBTU model.

Trane XT80, Rheem RGPT

I don't like that low end Rheem condenser. The Trane is better. And before I went up in size on condenser, I would want to see a load calc in writing to support that decision.

I like the idea of a filter media cabinet for a rental. Changeout up to one year.

IMO
    Good Luck!

I missed going from 2 ton to 2 1/2 ton.
    Increased ESP may make cooling on second floor even more of an issue. Throwing bigger a/c at a cooling issue is rarely a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    I also would opt for a sgl stage furnace-80% with high eff blower, no more than a 60 KBTU model.

Trane XT80, Rheem RGPT

I don't like that low end Rheem condenser. The Trane is better. And before I went up in size on condenser, I would want to see a load calc in writing to support that decision.

I like the idea of a filter media cabinet for a rental. Changeout up to one year.

IMO
    Good Luck!
    If I go with the Rheem my choice is either a 50k BTU or a 75k BTU... so do I go up or down from the 60k you suggest?

Isn't the media filter something like $400 to $500 extra? With this being a rental unit, is there a benefit to me in that additional expense?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    I missed going from 2 ton to 2 1/2 ton.
    Increased ESP may make cooling on second floor even more of an issue. Throwing bigger a/c at a cooling issue is rarely a good idea.
    Sorry I wasn't clear. When I said the upstairs was significantly hotter than the downstairs, I was referring to heating in the winter. That's why I was thinking the 2-stage would help. But maybe I need a unit with a high efficiency blower?

Thanks

Take the 050 model in either of the Rheem furnaces mentioned.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by TomDx View Post
    Sorry I wasn't clear. When I said the upstairs was significantly hotter than the downstairs, I was referring to heating in the winter. That's why I was thinking the 2-stage would help. But maybe I need a unit with a high efficiency blower?

Thanks
    Adding a return to 2nd floor & duct upgrades are the correct way to fix upstairs. Throwing big furnaces & multi stage PSC & ECM motors at it is not the answer.

50k furnace is sufficient. the 75k w/ the 3 ton drive I'd avoid.

The Contractor who gave me the Rheem and Trane quotes informed me that the Rheem furnace quoted is not available because it's been discontinued. I called Rheem, and they had no idea what I was talking about... seems like someone is misinformed.

So I got one last estimate today from a Lennox dealer.

Here are the specifics... (Trane configuration is a couple hundred less than the Lennox)

TRANE
    XL80 2-Stage (TUD2B060A9362A)
    XB13 2.5 ton Condenser (4TTB3030E1000A)
    XB series Coil (4FXCB036AC3CAA)
    10 year parts/Life tine Heat Exchanger/1 year labor

Lennox
    SL280V (70,000 BTU) (The diff between this and a single stage is just a few hundred dollars)
    14 ACX, 2.5 Ton 16 Seer
    Coil (I was just told it would be matching)
    Honeywell FOCUS Pro 6000
    5 inch Media filter
    10 year parts/20 year Heat Exchanger/5 year labor
    Option to extend the Labor to 10 years at a rate that is 50% less than my current PSE&G Worry-Free Contract.

My current furnace is 75k and A/C is 2.5 ton... no idea on the SEER (it's 24 years old).

Lennox told me that the 70k furnace was the correct choice because the next lowest is to low for my townhouse.

The A/C is 16 SEER (Up from the Trane's 13 SEER) because that qualifies for a Utility Co rebate, which makes the 16 SEER
    cheaper than the 13 SEER... which is fine by me as long as there are no drawbacks.

The Thermostat quoted is a single stage, but I know enough now that I would request a 2-stage if I chose the above furnace.

This Contractor is used by Costco for installs, been in Business 50 years, is rated A+ by BBB, and has excellent reviews on Angie's List. I'm still considering the Trane Contractor, but at best they are misinformed on Rheem products and at worst they outright lied. I have to make a decision by tomorrow so that the install can be done next week. I'd really appreciate any comments on Trane vs Lennox, this specific Lennox configuration, and on Lennox in general... I'm really confused.

I appreciate the time everyone has taken to respond to my post...

Thanks

Tom

I would go with the lennox for efficiency's sake. I'm sur the tenant would be thankful. Lennox, carrier, York and trane are all top of the line brands so any of these are quality. Installation is the biggest selection. Figure out the contractor you feel like you trust and will do a quality install the first time. You already know which contractor you trust to do a quality job go with him

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12