I tried to search the existing posts before creating this new thread and wasn't able to find what I was looking for so I will apologize in advance if this is a common question...

I own a ~1200 sqft home in the Charleston area of South Carolina and my 12+ year old Heat Pump/Split system is on the fritz and only really cools in the evenings or when the outside temps are below 80 degrees. As repairing this R-22 system is just not worth the short term comfort, I am looking at getting a system that will give me 10+ years of comfort all year round so I am currently getting quotes from the AC pros in my area. Thanks to some of the advice I have picked up from this site, I feel like I have a decent layman's knowledge of HVAC but I am a little concerned about the equipment selection from my "best" quote.

The company in question has recommended a Rheem 2.5 Ton Classic Heat Pump (RPNL-031JAZ, 14.5 SEER) and a RHLL-HM3617JA Air Handler. My question is about the mismatched sizes as it seems like the standard practice is to have matched tonnage between the HP and AH. But I have also read that this kind of set-up is not uncommon. I plan to question the AC company but I would like to "fact check" them with some advanced knowledge from some of you guys. I just want to make sure I am getting a system that can keep the humidity in the house down as we have been suffering through 78-80 temps and 65-70% relative humidity for most of the summer.

Thank you for reading!