2.5 Ton Heat Pump with 3.0 Ton Air Handler?

I tried to search the existing posts before creating this new thread and wasn't able to find what I was looking for so I will apologize in advance if this is a common question...

I own a ~1200 sqft home in the Charleston area of South Carolina and my 12+ year old Heat Pump/Split system is on the fritz and only really cools in the evenings or when the outside temps are below 80 degrees. As repairing this R-22 system is just not worth the short term comfort, I am looking at getting a system that will give me 10+ years of comfort all year round so I am currently getting quotes from the AC pros in my area. Thanks to some of the advice I have picked up from this site, I feel like I have a decent layman's knowledge of HVAC but I am a little concerned about the equipment selection from my "best" quote.

The company in question has recommended a Rheem 2.5 Ton Classic Heat Pump (RPNL-031JAZ, 14.5 SEER) and a RHLL-HM3617JA Air Handler. My question is about the mismatched sizes as it seems like the standard practice is to have matched tonnage between the HP and AH. But I have also read that this kind of set-up is not uncommon. I plan to question the AC company but I would like to "fact check" them with some advanced knowledge from some of you guys. I just want to make sure I am getting a system that can keep the humidity in the house down as we have been suffering through 78-80 temps and 65-70% relative humidity for most of the summer.

Thank you for reading!

It used to be very common practice to oversize the indoor coil by 1/2 ton. It is still done frequently for a variety of reasons. It might be what the distributor had in stock. The contractor may feel that the air flow requirements are different from the load requiremtns and so they want a 'bigger' blower drive. It could be matched that way to obtain a certain AHRI SEER/EER rating.

But to be clear, the capacity is dictated by the outdoor unit. I wouldn't be concerned.

The AOP forums/Ask Our Pro's forums, are restricted to only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC to post advise, questions or commentary in a thread created by someone else. You need to apply for your vetting/* if you wish to participate in threads in the AOP forums. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-14-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

From what I've seen air handlers/furnaces typically come as 3, 4 or 5 ton units. Blower speed can be set lower if all the capacity isn't needed. Often the blower is set at the high speed to help compensate for poor ductwork.

tighttommy, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been edited.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks for the replies. Unless I can get a "better" bid, it looks like I will be going with this contractor and now I am confident that they are selling me an appropriate system for my needs.

I would get a 2-ton TRANE XL15i 4TWX5024B with 2-ton Variable Speed air handler or equal.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

That system is an ARI matched 14.5 SEER & is IMO the best match for that condenser. The air handler is designed to work with a 2.5 or 3 ton condenser. If you put a standard RHSL-HM3017 then you only get 13 SEER out of that condenser. The capacity is basically determined by the outdoor unit as previuosly stated but the efficiency (SEER) is determined by both units.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

Dan sw fl Why would you recommend for him to go down to a 2 ton unit, Trane equipment at that. I'm just curious