Thread: NEED SOME IDEAS

Confused NEED SOME IDEAS

walked into a mess this afternoon. another company installed a 6 Ton and 2 Ton geothermal heat pump in a dog kennel. they have the 6 ton zoned in 4 different areas ultimately taking care of the kennel side. the 2 ton is for the offices. they are complaining about smell getting into the office areas. They say the have fresh air setup. I go outside and locate the roof penetration where the so called fresh air is coming from to attempt to aid the kennel area from odor. I then go into the attic and find this 16 inch roof penetration is hooked right into the supply duct. exhausting 16 inch round duct of supply air 45 degrees outside right out the roof.

would anyone suggest this so called fresh air set up on the return, or just abandon roof penetration and go with a make up air unit to just constantly circulate outside air in the kennel section.

this was a 32,000 dollar project supposedly and this is what he got.

some of the jacklegs in this area need a butte whooping

You've got a winner!!

i dont have any easy solutions for you but maybe a few things to think about....

conditioning constant outside air can be a huge heat load and can cause humidity issues. an ERV (energy recovery units) may help with this.

carbon filters are expensive but may help with the smell.

you may also want to see if any of the returns for the 2 ton unit are in the dog kennel area.

and obviously fix the conditioned air being discharged out the roof

Wow. I would try to get plans from the job so at least you know what was supposed to happen then make corrections and document everything so customer can recover some of the cost to correct.

ERV set up is fantastic for kennels and such and work very well. Pricy on the front end but worth it when done correctly. Local humane society has 7 ERV systems running 100% FA/exhaust on all the kennels with bio cell filtration on the exhaust. One of my favorite accounts. Very effective system.

i would kill all the fresh air...but for the offices, i would kill the fresh air and make sure my return is only from the office area and the return is size properly. after you fix the duct work, check to see if the office area is in a neg to pos. If its in a neg (which i don't think it would , but if) add some outside air to pressurize the area a bit. you don't need much. check to see if the doors and windows are sealed right.

I would think you would want the office unit pulling in some makeup air to keep the offices at a positive pressure.

Sounds as if the way it is now in a negative your drawing in kennel air like an exhaust fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    Wow. I would try to get plans from the job so at least you know what was supposed to happen then make corrections and document everything so customer can recover some of the cost to correct.

ERV set up is fantastic for kennels and such and work very well. Pricy on the front end but worth it when done correctly. Local humane society has 7 ERV systems running 100% FA/exhaust on all the kennels with bio cell filtration on the exhaust. One of my favorite accounts. Very effective system.
    Unfortunately this guy is still running around town working. I have been following him up the last couple years. He wouldnt of left any plans nor had any plans designed for it. I watched his dad couple years ago at a new construction home ( his father was general contractor) he had a water leak at a pressure reducer valve and i don't know if he was just nervous cause i was watching. But keeping from laughing was the hard part. He was kept loosening the fitting instead of tightening. He didn't know which way to turn the fitting to tighten. LOL.

It has a lower end zoning system on it and fresh air economizer controller. He conveniently installed the outdoor air sensor with one foot of wire right inside the zone panel cover.. Hanging of course the control transformer was dangling inside the geo-thermal. I wish somehow i wouldn't have to follow all his work. Every job i find of his, first thing i do is grab duct calculator see how badly the return is undersized then look at all the other install screwups. Oh well least its beer thirty now.

16" supply leaking is causing extreme neg pressure in cond space. Cap it and most of problem will be solved

Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    16" supply leaking is causing extreme neg pressure in cond space. Cap it and most of problem will be solved
    that's a good plan.....but which system is he talking about? the 2 ton to 6. I would imagine its the 6 because if they vent 16" from a 2ton that would dump most of the 2 ton air away.

Sounds like they were trying to keep the kennel in a negative pressure by exhausting the supply air. Does the kennel unit also have OD air? I would have the kennels maintained in a negative with fresh air being introduced and the office area in a positive pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac69 View Post
    Sounds like they were trying to keep the kennel in a negative pressure by exhausting the supply air. Does the kennel unit also have OD air? I would have the kennels maintained in a negative with fresh air being introduced and the office area in a positive pressure.
    That's exactly my thought