Thread: Bluevac ?

Bluevac ?

Is my bluvac defective? I have tried to get it to hold a vacuum with two different appion vcrt's, one yellow jacket superevac tree to no avail.Would like to get your input. J

NOT defective. You MUST evacuate a cylinder and see how it holds then. I had the same question last year and member joeyd (Owner & Vice President of Core Enterprises) provided me an explanation on the phone. The reason has to do with it needing a container with some volume.
    I think bluevac is terrific.

With a lot of certainty I can say you likely have no problems. The BluVac is a lot more sensitive than a typical vacuum gauge.

1) Everything including copper leaks, it is the leak rate that we are concerned with.

2) The volume that you are testing (1/2 a core tool) is so tiny that it is impossible to test leak free.

The tools and hoses that you have are vacuum rated and have a low leak rate, much lower than typical core tools and hoses, but they still leak (this is call gas permeability) . That is why we want to use core tools to isolate as much as we can from the system during a standing vacuum test.

Here is an easy way to test the tightness of your rig. Install your core tool on an empty rust free refrigerant cylinder, (not a recovery tank if possible), open the valve all the way, and evacuate the cylinder with the core tool attached and the vacuum gauge attached to the side port. After you hit 200-300 microns, isolate the vacuum pump with the core tool. An acceptable leak rate is about 1 micron per minute after a stabilization period (10 minutes or so).

If you have any other questions give me a call and I will help you figure it out.

Jim
    JLB,

Thanks guys for getting back with me and clearing this up.

JASON sent this from his DUMB-PHONE

I pulled a vacuum on an empty cylinder and everything held tight. Being a student/noob, this will not be the last dumb question I ask. :-) Thanks again guys.

JASON sent this from his DUMB-PHONE

Just got my Bluvac from Trutech yesterday. Used it today. WOW, way nicer to use than my ol' JB micron gauge. Watching it count down single microns was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    NOT defective. You MUST evacuate a cylinder and see how it holds then. I had the same question last year and member joeyd (Owner & Vice President of Core Enterprises) provided me an explanation on the phone. The reason has to do with it needing a container with some volume.
    I think bluevac is terrific.
    X2