Thread: Compressor pump down

Post Likes

Compressor pump down

My Carrier Infinity has a 50psig low pressure cutout. When the tech did a pump down a couple of weeks ago, to replace my evaporator, I noticed that he didn't bypass the cutout, and I don't think he even let it get to 50psig before manually flipping the breaker. He did appropriately recover any remaining 410a.

When he was back today, I asked him about that and he says that he doesn't bypass the low pressure cutout, because of the risk.

This was also the same tech that told Carrier he had no problem pumping down the compressor (Carrier was trying to rule out compressor issues).

My question is, if you don't let the compress pump down below the 50pisg cutout, can you really say that a compressor successfully passes a pump down test?

Post Likes
    Yes and he followed proper procedures by pumping down and recovering the excess.

Post Likes
    I second second opinion's opinion. Your tech did the right thing. I don't bypass safeties, either, unless absolutely necessary, and only temporarily.

A compressor does not need to be pumped down to test how well it pumps. Compression ratio is good for that.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    The AOP forums/Ask Our Pro's forums, are restricted to only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC to post advise, questions or commentary in a thread created by someone else. You need to apply for your vetting/* if you wish to participate in threads in the AOP forums. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-14-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tighttommy View Post
    I just want to clarify for my own knowlage, regardless of safeties, an infinity unit has a scroll compressor, which has no internal valves. a pump down test isnt necissary, because it is used to test if the valves hold on a recip compressor. so if it moves refrigerant at all then it should be fine, all you would be testing is if the check valve holds. All things being equal, checking amp draw and superheat, subcool would be more infomative.
    Well you are partially right, this Infinity has a two stage reciprocating compressor. Your are correct on the scroll scenario no pump down required.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in