Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are Filter/driers required on new installs

My brother just had a house built and I noticed there is no filter/drier on his ac. It is a brand new install. I brought this up to the general contractor and he told me it is not required on new installs. Assuming (and I know this is a big assumption) the lines were nitrogen purged while brazing and evacuated below 50 microns, this shouldn't be a big deal. However, I seem to recall manufacturers requiring their installation on new units. Couldn't find any requirement in the IMC. Anyone know if there is a code requirement or manufacturer requirement for a Filter/drier.

This is what the Ruud installation manual said. They actually provide a filter dryer with the unit- UPQL condensor.

As an added precaution, a high quality, bi-directional filter drier is recommend- ed to be installed in the liquid line, if not factory installed.

Quote Originally Posted by dijit View Post
    My brother just had a house built and I noticed there is no filter/drier on his ac. It is a brand new install. I brought this up to the general contractor and he told me it is not required on new installs. Assuming (and I know this is a big assumption) the lines were nitrogen purged while brazing and evacuated below 50 microns, this shouldn't be a big deal. However, I seem to recall manufacturers requiring their installation on new units. Couldn't find any requirement in the IMC. Anyone know if there is a code requirement or manufacturer requirement for a Filter/drier.
    What brand of equipment?

Look inside the unit to make sure its not there.

Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk 2

Goodman

I will check.

I will check.
    Factory installed

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Factory installed

In condenser unit?

In condenser unit?
    Yes

His installers pull a vacuum below 50 microns??? Sure! Most RNC installers wouldn't know what a micron gauge is, some around us may not even use a vacuum pump judging from our findings

I know, I have seen that too. That's what concerns me. Even saw a guy that had like 5 years of "experience" in commercial that didn't know how to use a vacuum pump. Of course his daddy also worked at the same company.

I think all Goodman condensers come with a factory installed drier. I hate this because I don't have the option to pump down to replace. I like to move them outside the condenser after the first recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by socotech View Post
    I think all Goodman condensers come with a factory installed drier. I hate this because I don't have the option to pump down to replace. I like to move them outside the condenser after the first recovery.
    Why not?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast