+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Condenser Sizing

Post Likes

Condenser Sizing

I replaced a old leaking evap with a new 32,200 btu evap.about 1 year ago. and now the condenser took a crap. So i need to replaced the condenser. I called my supplier to find a match
    for the evap. And they recommented a 4 ton system. and said i should replace the TEV with a new
    4 ton valve. Am i gaining anything by putting a 4 ton verses a 3 ton condenser?
    Thanks for any replies

Post Likes
    If you change the TEV you will have liquid return problems to the compressor.

Post Likes
    Not enough info here.

First of all, are you talking tons or horsepower?

It is normal that the condenser capacity will be greater than the evaporator capacity....it is rejecting the heat transferred at the evaporator + the compressor heat of compression.

Depending on the application (evap temp, cond temp, etc) the 4 ton TEV may or may not be the correct valve for this evaporator. Without knowing your conditions it's impossible to say.

Post Likes
    Bunny, Would it be common to go as high as a 4 ton condenser for an evap that's a little over 2 1/2 tons? seems like a lot of extra condenser.

The 3 ton seems more reasonable.

Is there a negative to going with a much larger condenser, such as the 4 ton? other then needing more refrigerant? And more $$

I'm trying to get a grasp on this whole sizing equipment deal

Post Likes
    Yeah, 3 tons sounds more reasonable.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bunny View Post
    Not enough info here.

First of all, are you talking tons or horsepower?

It is normal that the condenser capacity will be greater than the evaporator capacity....it is rejecting the heat transferred at the evaporator + the compressor heat of compression.

Depending on the application (evap temp, cond temp, etc) the 4 ton TEV may or may not be the correct valve for this evaporator. Without knowing your conditions it's impossible to say.
    Bunny is correct. The OP hasn't given enough info to know what we're dealing with here. For all we know, this could be a residential A/C system and not even a commercial refrigeration system.

When Danal says "condenser", I do think he's referring to the condenser coil, but to the condensing unit....so I suspect his "tons" are in fact horsepower.

Danal, please give us the model of the evaporator, the model of the proposed condensing unit and the design box temperature. With that, we can start to talk.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in