Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by carmon View Post
    well then....nice attitude.... do not apply at my place....
    Don't get me wrong. I take pride in my work and will do it to the best of my ability. I'm just saying, I'm doing it to support myself and my family. It's not like I'm going to wake up and go to work with the same attitude that I have when I'm caring for my wife and kids, or trying to get them to learn lesson's in life, or enjoy life. It's just not gonna happen. I enjoy life way more than I enjoy going to work, that's just how it is and will be.

Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    I've been thinkin about this post over the last few days......and that reply is the reason.

You're not going far in any field with an attitude problem.

HVAC/R has A LOT to do with pleasing others......equipment operators does to, but you can be more of a d$ck while doing it.......computer science is still a lot of pleasing others.

make your decision based on what you enjoy most.......or at least what you think you do best in......
    I would enjoy any of these fields. I may not be the fastest or greatest, but I make sure the job is done right, without any flaws. I aim to please, that is my goal in life. I don't try and get over on people. I'm here for the people, and I enjoy being praised for my work, not the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePipeMan View Post
    Thanks for the insight neophytes.

What would you do if you were in my situation? I live in upstate NY, 30 minutes or less from Albany.. Would you pursue HVAC or HEO? I think I would really enjoy Being a HEO in the future. Afriend reccommended I go for HVAC in high school. At the time it was either that or Auto Mechanic. I also had the opportunity to go for heavy equipment, but i passed it up, because i was young and stupid.
    I'm not sure I am in a position to give you career advice on this.

I bet there are many different facets to being an Operator, just like HVAC. Either one has the capacity to challenge or bore with monotony.

I also have my doubts on the long term future of unions and the benefits that are promised to rank and file members. Yes, the same or similar has been said for a long time but one can't argue the possibility that now is different with declining membership and increasing costs. Benefits funded and promised today can't be there in the future without new recruits paying enough into the funds for current retirees and for their future retirement. Unions today aren't merging for the benefit of the members, they are merging to keep the benefit funds solvent. And yes, rank and file pensions are separate and funded differently from the officer pensions.

One can also succeed at the job, yet fail as a union member and end up out of work... or be below average in skills yet somehow keep working.

Good luck.

Interesting.

You're in NY? May I suggest Ironworker? Sounds to me you really don't want to put in the effort to become a great hvac guy, and if you want to make any money in this business, you need to be great or a crook.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    If you are using money as the sole criteria for taking a job then I would go the brain surgeon route or some other type of doctor.
    Hey,that's my job!

I am more than willing to put in the effort needed to become great, so long as I enjoy my job. I feel as though I would enjoy HVAC. I took it in high school and was really fascinated by it. I love having a AC in my home, as do the people that work in these buildings.

HEO works 8 hours a day and goes home with nothing on his mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HVAC mechanic works 8-24 hours a day 5-7 days a week 365 days a year and works his arse off!
    takes his work home with him, is on call 24 hours a day and on his time off, whenever that is, catches up on paperwork and cleans his truck. most of us are not even given vacation and holidays but those who have them are not usually allowed to take vacation during the summer!

any other FREE time is usually spent in class as this stuff never stays the same!
    go home and try to sleep but can not because you are still thinking about the service call you are struggling with!
    works in snow, ice, rain, sleet,hale, wind, flood, storm, 130* roof!!!!!!!!!!! 30 below zero! it does not matter!
    hot roofs cold roofs, loud hot dirty equipment rooms! working in dangerous environments around high voltage stuff!

ofcourse sometimes there is no work but you would never find out until that morning at 8 AM so it would not be a fun day off and your boss would expect you to leave your phone on the entire day as he usually expects you to answer your phone 24 hours a day !

if the pay and benefits are within $20,000 a year?
    I would easily pick HEO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    Having a desire to work, and a strong personality is what made many a great hvac service man. Tenacity come into play when trying to fix a stubborn problem. with the advent of the microprocessor, hvac is getting more and more complex daily. Wanna be a computer guy....hvac guys do that too, its called automation. There is a computer on almost every unit now a days.
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

oh and i forgot!

once this trade takes your knees and shoulders!\\you are done!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, that sounds nasty. So.. you're saying, even in a union, you're on call 24/7?

That would depend on the job you hold.

If you are the lead tech, and on call, the answer might be yes.

If you are the foreman/super running a big project, the answer might be yes.

The "union" does not put *you* on call, your employer does.

The main thing that the union does for you is "negotiate" a wage package and administers benefits and retirement.

Depending on the union, the apprenticeship/education part may be operated by a separate entity, which may be funded through employer contributions as part of your wage package.

i do not think union or not matters?

if you fix air conditioners for a living it is all the same.

that being said you could do new construction pipefitting and have a normal life.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePipeMan View Post
    Wow, that sounds nasty. So.. you're saying, even in a union, you're on call 24/7?

Impatient people, can't wait for the work day to start?!? What is this?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast