Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I've said time and time again, that I am not in it for the money. My goal is to be a fit, young person, and to join a trade. I have ****ed up in school, due to not knowing the interesting doors that would close on me. I said, I enjoy both of these fields. I can see myself loving HEO more than HVAC, but if I'm not making the same kind of money, I will gladly trade that for something more lucrative, that i still enjoy doing. Also, another factor is the amount of traveling I may have to do as a HEO. Staying in hotels, does not sound fun to me, while my family is at home enjoying each others company, or my spouse is at home waiting for my company (Speculative).

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    If you are using money as the sole criteria for taking a job then I would go the brain surgeon route or some other type of doctor.
    No, doctors pay a lot in malpractice insurance and overhead and will probably get screwed under Obamacare. Plus everyone wants to sue them. If you are going for money, either get elected to congress, or become a lawyer. Both are overpaid and do practically nothing.

Ask people in your area if the HVAC field is cyclical at all. Where I live, it is. This time of year we are really busy, in the winter lots of people get laid off. But I live in a desert.

I live in NY, so I would imagine HVAC going year round?

Quote Originally Posted by ThePipeMan View Post
    I am considering joining a Union in state. My question is who pays more?
    You only get paid when you are working.

Whether or not you are working may have nothing to do with how well you are capable of performing the tasks at hand.

It is quite difficult to dig holes in the rain and not have them collapse, but when stuff dries out, the schedule does not get extended. There will be OT.

If you are waiting to put pipe in the building that couldn't be built because of the hole couldn't be dug, that schedule won't get extended, and you will get OT.

I know people in both unions that are more than capable of doing their jobs yet have sat home while connected union members have worked more.

There is more to it than dollars per hour on a wage sheet.

You also need to consider pension contributions and whether or not the local and international pension plans are solvent and fully funded (note: union officer pension plans will be funded). Pension contributions and multipliers are easily seen on the wage sheet. Details about the financial health of rank and file pension plans will be much harder to figure out from the outside.

is there a shop steward at the local McD
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Here's my take on this.

The mindset required to be a heavy equipment operator is quite different than the mindset required to be an HVAC serviceman.

This is really a question that only YOU can answer.

I would say, as others have, making this decision based SOLELY on the money is a bad way to make the decision.

Thanks for the insight neophytes.

What would you do if you were in my situation? I live in upstate NY, 30 minutes or less from Albany.. Would you pursue HVAC or HEO? I think I would really enjoy Being a HEO in the future. Afriend reccommended I go for HVAC in high school. At the time it was either that or Auto Mechanic. I also had the opportunity to go for heavy equipment, but i passed it up, because i was young and stupid.

... I'd like to hear that there is a possibility to work year round as a HEO, that might make things a little more enticing.
    Ok.

Year round work is possible as a HEO. There's is not much traveling, hours are good and the money is pretty good in the beginning.

The same applies to hvac..year round work is possible, the hours are good (9-5) and the money is great in the beginning especially if you go school and get an EPA...

Sounds like you already have your mind made up though..

Having a desire to work, and a strong personality is what made many a great hvac service man. Tenacity come into play when trying to fix a stubborn problem. with the advent of the microprocessor, hvac is getting more and more complex daily. Wanna be a computer guy....hvac guys do that too, its called automation. There is a computer on almost every unit now a days.

I really haven't made up my mind. I like fixing things, I like building things, and I enjoy electronics and understanding how they work. I also love driving vehicles and operating equipment that are powerful and empowering. I also want to be smart and learn about computers/history/science/math... But, school takes a lot of hard work and determination, dedication, etc. Not saying the trades don't, it's just a lot different.

That's not what I'm asking, I told you that I enjoy both of these trades. Please answer the questions i have, or don't answer them at all.

I already have a far stretched goal. I would like to become a computer scientist, but i feel as though i don't have the heart to endure 5-6 years of school. I ****ed up bad in high school and mildly bad in middle school. I have a lot of work to do to catch up, and I feel as though I would much rather just work, rather than work at learning **** that I really am only doing for the money and benefit of my children, my wife, my family, the people around me, and myself. Which should be good enough reason to do it.. Like I said, I don't feel I have the heart, and I sometimes don't feel I have the smarts to do such a feat.
    well then....nice attitude.... do not apply at my place....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

I've been thinkin about this post over the last few days......and that reply is the reason.

You're not going far in any field with an attitude problem.

HVAC/R has A LOT to do with pleasing others......equipment operators does to, but you can be more of a d$ck while doing it.......computer science is still a lot of pleasing others.

make your decision based on what you enjoy most.......or at least what you think you do best in......

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast