Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 53
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Paper Street Soap Company
    Posts
    2,304

    The 50 $ Lesson....

    The $50 Lesson

    Recently, while I was working in the flower beds in the front yard, my neighbors stopped to chat as they returned home from walking their dog. During our friendly conversation, I asked their little girl what she wanted to be when she grows up.

    She said she wanted to be President some day. Both of her parents, liberal Democrats, were standing there, so I asked her, "If you were President what would be the first thing you would do?" She replied... "I'd give food and houses to all the homeless people." Her parents beamed with pride! "Wow...what a worthy goal!" I said.

    "But you don't have to wait until you're President to do that!" I told her. "What do you mean?" she replied. So I told her, "You can come over to my house and mow the lawn, pull weeds, and trim my hedge, and I'll pay you $50.

    Then you can go over to the grocery store where the homeless guy hangs out and give him the $50 to use toward food and a new house."

    She thought that over for a few seconds, then she looked me straight in the eye and asked, "Why doesn't the homeless guy come over and do the work, and you can just pay him the $50?" I said, "Welcome to the Republican Party."

    Her parents aren't speaking to me anymore.

    I caught this on facebook......its great.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    The $50 Lesson

    Recently, while I was working in the flower beds in the front yard, my neighbors stopped to chat as they returned home from walking their dog. During our friendly conversation, I asked their little girl what she wanted to be when she grows up.

    She said she wanted to be President some day. Both of her parents, liberal Democrats, were standing there, so I asked her, "If you were President what would be the first thing you would do?" She replied... "I'd give food and houses to all the homeless people." Her parents beamed with pride! "Wow...what a worthy goal!" I said.

    "But you don't have to wait until you're President to do that!" I told her. "What do you mean?" she replied. So I told her, "You can come over to my house and mow the lawn, pull weeds, and trim my hedge, and I'll pay you $50.

    Then you can go over to the grocery store where the homeless guy hangs out and give him the $50 to use toward food and a new house."

    She thought that over for a few seconds, then she looked me straight in the eye and asked, "Why doesn't the homeless guy come over and do the work, and you can just pay him the $50?" I said, "Welcome to the Republican Party."

    Her parents aren't speaking to me anymore.

    I caught this on facebook......its great.
    Nice I agree with the base moral of the story.

    But
    Did the homeless guy know about the gardening job?
    Would you offer the homeless guy the job?
    Where you being an opportunist looking at using cheap labour, either the girl or the homeless?
    Who pays the tax on the work done?
    Are you reducing the likelihood of a legit company do the work?
    Would this work stop the man from being homeless?
    What happens when the homeless guy has to compete with all the homeless guys and girls?
    What happens when no gardening is required?
    Who pays for the healthcare when either damage their backs.

    Welcome to the world of a moderate, who see's the world for what it is, instead of a political label.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,110
    Lol. Well played sir.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    7,814
    Some bum comes to my home wanting to do some work....he better have a business license, insurance, workmans comp on himself and any employees or anyone else he brings on to the property.
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Urbandale IA. USA
    Posts
    4,934
    Quote Originally Posted by barbar View Post
    Nice I agree with the base moral of the story.

    But
    Did the homeless guy know about the gardening job?
    Would you offer the homeless guy the job?
    Where you being an opportunist looking at using cheap labour, either the girl or the homeless?
    Who pays the tax on the work done?
    Are you reducing the likelihood of a legit company do the work?
    Would this work stop the man from being homeless?
    What happens when the homeless guy has to compete with all the homeless guys and girls?
    What happens when no gardening is required?
    Who pays for the healthcare when either damage their backs.

    Welcome to the world of a moderate, who see's the world for what it is, instead of a political label.
    The homeless person would probably spend the $50 on beer, not food.
    .
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Posts
    1,439
    Several great points here.

    Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk 2

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    2,558
    Sounds like the homeless man is the bad guy.

    Or is it all the taxes and regulations that are in his way?
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

    Change your vacuum pump oil now.

    Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Losantiville
    Posts
    1,772
    The person working in the flower bed forgot to mention that the homeless guy used to do his yardwork until a venture capitalist bought the landscape company he worked for and laid him off while liquidating his pension fund.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Helena, Montana
    Posts
    2,155
    Funny how those think its a bad thing that the homeless guy would be expected to work.... Oh wait, that's right it's always somebody elses fault. He can't be expected to think for himself.
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Afton, VA / Khorat, Thailand
    Posts
    2,469
    Don't make those people THINK......they hate to wake up to reality.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

    Midnight Sun Astrophotography

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,204
    Quote Originally Posted by ControlsInMT View Post
    Funny how those think its a bad thing that the homeless guy would be expected to work.... Oh wait, that's right it's always somebody elses fault. He can't be expected to think for himself.
    Ah yes, all homeless should have telepathic powers with all those who need casual work, and have there own matter transport system, to deliver themselves to where the work casual work is need "in a flash"

    Do you really believe all the homeless, are homeless by choice? And therefore can just think there way out of a bad situation?

    So even if the homeless guy wanted to work, would you employ him, remember that he homeless, so is likely to smell, looks like shyte, low in energy and is likely to have been in a dark place, or would you employ the the clean living girl next door.

    You may believe you are where you are today because of self determination, but that is just bollocks, you are where you are today, because those around you gave you influence and opportunity. Not all have been as fortunate as you and me in this regards.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    5,530
    The Republicans carry more than their share of blame for creating joblessness in the US but still believe their sucess has to do with being a higher order of humans. Some preverted form of economic Darwinism. Interesting process of being mean sprited and feeling good about it at the same time. I probably wouldn't speak to you if we were neighbors eather.
    Tracers work both ways.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    S.E. Pa
    Posts
    6,191
    Quote Originally Posted by barbar View Post
    Nice I agree with the base moral of the story

    But
    Did the homeless guy know about the gardening job? I was not aware we had to post jobs for day labor. When that comes, it will just reduce the number of reported openings
    Would you offer the homeless guy the job? I don't know, I haven't read his resume or interviewed other candidates
    Where you being an opportunist looking at using cheap labour, either the girl or the homeless? Why is it employment is always being opportunistic or evil? How about being philathropic? Why is employment such as dirty word?
    Who pays the tax on the work done? What taxes? He's under the minimum required by the Progressives who wrote the tax code. Besides, you make me pay taxes on lawn care and I'll just do it myself and keep the $50. I don't have to hire anyone you know....
    Are you reducing the likelihood of a legit company do the work?Since when is a sole proprietor illegitimate and besides, I thought all big companies were evil?
    Would this work stop the man from being homeless?At $50 for a one time gig, I doubt it. Perhaps if he took the lead and created a business BY HIMSELF, he could grow it into a business that hires nothing but the homeless, you know, sorta' like the Irishman whose Mexicans do my yard and are happy to do it for what I pay
    What happens when the homeless guy has to compete with all the homeless guys and girls?That would be AWESMOME! We call that free market competition. It is what built the known world dude. That would also mean those people switched from being tax users to tax payers so the economy would grow as would services for the remainder who still needed it. The std. of living would finally go up for a change
    What happens when no gardening is required?Gardening is seasonal work in most of the US. That means you find other work or file for unemployment . Then again some companies have found ways to diversify such as woodstove shops getting into BBQ and patio stuff but the government is attaching the hearth industry so those people will be out of work soon anyway
    Who pays for the healthcare when either damage their backs.Well, if I hire a guy to work on my property who does not have workers comp. and he gets hurt, I pay for his health care until the injury is healed and possibly for the rest of his life. Its a risk we both take--my assets vs. him losing the job due to being unaffordable. You see, the trial lawyers run Congress, which is why they refuse to enact tort law reform. Therefore, healthcare costs continue to explode forcing cutbacks in services and coverage.

    Welcome to the world of a moderate, who see's the world for what it is, instead of a political label.
    You see, this story can be a positive or a negative depending upon how you view life and your political leanings. Trying to claim to be a moderate/ centrists doesn't make you one. Every point you raised here was a Liberal Progressive's viewpoint, seeing the homeless man as a victim and the homeowner as mean and evil even when he offers employment. Shame on him for trying to help this poor man!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event