Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-13-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Non AOP member

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Joy View Post
    I intend to call the county next week. I was a little concerned about the EC guy bashing a fellow AC guy for his history of bypassing code requirements, but I'm glad it led me to investigate the issue.
    Ask what the county code guys would do about an A/C contractor that, because there was no open place for a breaker, the A/C guys bypassed the main disconnect & connected directly to the conductors coming from the meter & the 600-Amp fused main supply transformer.

Those small conductors were not even placed in conduit, they looped around in the basement & connected to a fused breaker box there &, then ran to the outdoor disconnect near the condenser.

Have you ever heard of a worse violation of the EC Code?

There was a fused 220-volt conductor running to the living room to a 1.5-Ton window unit; the central condenser is 1.5-Ton & pulls a lot less amps than the window unit pulled which they no longer use.

They could have used the breaker location or run those conductors to the outdoor disconnect by the condenser.

So someone trips the main breaker off & think the power to the basement breaker box is killed or, that power to the A/C condenser is killed, instead they may be electrocuted/killed. A hidden death trap...

This was out in the country with NO inspection permits pulled...

Last edited by udarrell; 08-13-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: out in the country with NO inspection permits pulled

g_friendly

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    Ask what the county code guys would do about an A/C contractor that, because there was no open place for a breaker, the A/C guys bypassed the main disconnect & connected directly to the conductors coming from the meter & the 600-Amp fused main supply transformer.

Those small conductors were not even placed in conduit, they looped around in the basement & connected to a fused breaker box there &, then ran to the outdoor disconnect near the condenser.

There was a fused 220-volt conductor running to the living room to a 1.5-Ton window unit; the central condenser is 1.5-Ton & pulls a lot less amps than the window unit pulled which they no longer use.

They could have used the breaker location or run those conductors to the outdoor disconnect by the condenser.

So someone trips the main breaker off & think the power to the basement breaker box is killed or, that power to the A/C condenser is killed, instead they may be electrocuted/killed. A hidden death trap...

This was out in the country with NO inspection permits pulled...

Forgive me... I don't want to be rude... but I don't see how this response has any bearing on my situation or helps to answer my question. Thanks anyway.

Forgive me... I don't want to be rude... but I don't see how this response has any bearing on my situation or helps to answer my question. Thanks anyway.
    He was implying that individuals that do work without permits can put you and your home in jeopardy.

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    He was implying that individuals that do work without permits can put you and your home in jeopardy.
    Duh?! I know that! Did he read my post that opened this thread? That's why I asked the question about qualifications in the first place.

Or maybe he was trying to reply to another thread, and replied to this one by mistake.

Don't crucify those that are trying to help.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Duh?! I know that! Did he read my post that opened this thread? That's why I asked the question about qualifications in the first place.
    Sometimes people will ask questions about a thought or an opinion that they are not sure about, as in your case he was reassuring you to do the right thing and ask for compliance to safety codes.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Or maybe he was trying to reply to another thread, and replied to this one by mistake.

Don't crucify those that are trying to help.
    I asked for forgiveness in case I appeared rude... and I forgive his him if he replied to the wrong thread. No crudifix in my pocket and no offense intended.

I hate to bring this up.... you can have all the qualifications in the world..... but if you do it wrong..... its wrong..... where I am we are allowed to wire from panel to A/C unit.. permits are required.... problem is inspections are rarely done and most inspectors are unsure what they are looking at anyway.... best bet is to make sure local codes are followed......
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Quote Originally Posted by carmon View Post
    I hate to bring this up.... you can have all the qualifications in the world..... but if you do it wrong..... its wrong..... where I am we are allowed to wire from panel to A/C unit.. permits are required.... problem is inspections are rarely done and most inspectors are unsure what they are looking at anyway.... best bet is to make sure local codes are followed......
    I do agree! But isn't that why we pay the county/city building inspectors out of our property tax money? Seems that's a heavy burden to put on the average homeowner... checking code and inspecting their own contractor's work. What is this world coming to?

I do agree! But isn't that why we pay the county/city building inspectors out of our property tax money? Seems that's a heavy burden to put on the average homeowner... checking code and inspecting their own contractor's work. What is this world coming to?
    Carmon is from way up north.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Carmon is from way up north.
    OK, I see... north of the border.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast