+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Controlling a Variable Speed Pump off of Pressure Differential

Post Likes

Controlling a Variable Speed Pump off of Pressure Differential

My company is wanting me to set up a system to control off of pressure differential. I was wondering how can I determine a good setpoint for this? When controlling off pressure differential does the pump need to slow down when the pressure differential is high?

Thanks
    J. King

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by apprentice3 View Post
    My company is wanting me to set up a system to control off of pressure differential. I was wondering how can I determine a good setpoint for this? When controlling off pressure differential does the pump need to slow down when the pressure differential is high?

Thanks
    The Balancer will give you the setpoint, and yes it needs to slow down.

Post Likes
    Yes you are right. When you PD get higher VSD should slow down. and PD get lower VSD should speed up.

You need to write the LOOP for this operation. For Loop statement you need to carefully set the parameter.

If you set wrong then VSD Variable is too fast and will make your entire system get problem. so you need to set Loop that VSD can change the speed slowly. and you can accept.

yes correct the Balancing Team will tell you the setpoint of the PD. Cause when they do the balancing they will run the VSD manually. after they finish they will go to measure the differential pressure where you install PD sensor. and this set point you need to put in your loop statement in (BIAS). So mean the set point and your BIAS is almost the same.

Post Likes
    Just to throw out there are you sure this is an application that a VSD with diff press control is worthwhile?

I've had more than one job where such was done/planned, but it'd never work as the piping arrangement/valve setup wasn't correct - 3 way valves on all the valves, deadheading the pump, etc... Many it ended up just being a nice soft start/stop setup with a bit of 'motor protection'.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    My 5 yr old son "Dad, Siri is not very smart when there's no internet."

Post Likes
    How big is the pump?

Post Likes
    You don't tell us enough to even guess a set point. Something in the piping needs the flow through it controlled. What is it?

Typically, this control loop would include a VFD or a bypass valve. Bypass is the old-fashioned way, since it tends not to reduce the pumping energy when flow through the load is not required. VFD's are the new-fangled way, since they actually slow the pump down to reduce the the flow, so also reduce the required pumping energy. Typically, you might be controlling the pressure across, say, a heating/cooling coil with a variable valve which is performing proportional cooling. Maybe even a gob of such coils, each with its own valve. Give us a clue ...
    Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing.
    -- Walt Kelly - esteemed cartoonist

Post Likes
    Measure your pressure at the end of line and start out low. As previously stated we need to know an application. In my experience Trane wshps for example can operate 6-10 psid ...just depends. TAB would be beneficial here.

Post Likes
    Assuming there are 2-way valves on the job and the pumps were designed for a 100% call on all valves, the proper procedure would be to open all the valves, run the pump at 60 Hz, measure the differential pressure and that's your setpoint.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in