Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New AC Unit but No Cooling

Post Likes

New AC Unit but No Cooling

The AC (3 tons) in the home (about 1600 sq ft) I am renting was replaced less than a month ago.
    Thermostat setting: cool to 78 deg F.
    Average outdoor temps: Day 105 deg F; Night 82 deg F

Observations:
    1) Temperature never goes below 81 deg F, even at night.
    2) Air coming out of the vents does not feel cool.
    3) High pressure line both near the indoor evaporator & the outside condenser do not feel warm.
    4) Low Pressure line both near the indoor evaporator & the outside condenser feels cool (but not as cool as the ones my neighbors' home ACs).
    5) Low pressure line both near the indoor evaporator & the outside condenser do not sweat.
    6) Unit just keeps running but since the target temperature is never reached, the unit never stops.

What the AC technicians said:
    1) Thermostat was not set properly.
    Action Taken: I had the technician set the thermostat himself just to make sure.
    Result: No change in AC cooling performance

2) The filters need to be changed.'
    Action Taken: Put in new (regular) filters both at the evaporator & at the door leading to the space where the evaporator is hidden.

3) The temperature outside is too hot that the AC can't keep up.
    Action Taken: Added insulation to the doors and windows where warm outside air was probably passing through.

4) Freon not enough
    Action Taken: AC tech took measurements at the condenser & said that the freon levels were OK.
    Result: None since the property manager did not want to add freon if levels were OK.

The property manager says that since the AC techs already checked the system twice after the new unit was installed and did not find anything wrong with it, she can't do anything else for me.
    That is unacceptable since my neighbors' ACs are the same as ours and whose houses are of the same size and yet their homes are cool, even during the hot afternoons.
    Mine does not even go below 81 at night.
    I wake up in the morning before the sun rises and I'm lucky if the temperature gets to 81 deg F.
    I suspect that either the AC unit was improperly installed, that they failed to do something, or something was improperly done.
    I think I'll be better off opening the windows and turning on the ceiling fans.

I would like to know what other things need to be considered based on the observations I made and what else need to be checked.
    It's really uncomfortable at home, especially during the mid to late afternoons when the indoor temp goes up to 90 deg F (in spite of a thermostat setting of cool 80 deg F).
    My electric bill is almost double of what I normally get... I expect the next one to be higher.
    On top of that, I have a 14-moth old baby at home.
    Please help!

Post Likes
    Does the unit have a TXV or a fixed metering device? What method was used for charging?

The Day You Think You Know Everything Is The Day You Stop Learning.

Post Likes
    Move to a house that the ac works properly ,your land lord probably had low bidder do the job

Post Likes
    is this cooling only or heat pump; or did I miss that info?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    many signs of what you are reporting point to the problem. unfortunately, we would have to be there to fix the problem.
    you have two choices. call a qualified service tech out, and pay them to fix the system, or move. if you pay to fix it, it's POSSIBLE the landlord will reimburse you for the repairs, but unlikely.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    I don't believe there is a TXV.
    All I was told is that after replacing the condenser unit outside they checked the freon levels and said they were OK.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    is this cooling only or heat pump; or did I miss that info?
    The thermostat works for both heating & cooling.
    Does that mean I have a heat pump.
    Sorry, I don't know how to identify which is which.
    How do you find that out, by the way?

Post Likes
    Post brand and model number of both the inside unit and the outdoor unit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by saintmichael36 View Post
    Does the unit have a TXV or a fixed metering device? What method was used for charging?

The Day You Think You Know Everything Is The Day You Stop Learning.
    A home owner isn't going to know that information.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vstech View Post
    many signs of what you are reporting point to the problem. unfortunately, we would have to be there to fix the problem.
    you have two choices. call a qualified service tech out, and pay them to fix the system, or move. if you pay to fix it, it's POSSIBLE the landlord will reimburse you for the repairs, but unlikely.
    That's what I intend to do - look for a CERTIFIED PRO and have them check the system.
    I just hope that the true problem could be resolved or, at least, found so I would have a better chance of asking the owner to reimburse me.

Post Likes
    AC Condenser unit was replaced about 3 week ago.
    Specs:
    Goodman GSC130361GA
    208 - 230 volts AC
    60 Hz
    Fan motor: 1.10 FLA; 1/6 HP
    Compressor: 13.4 RLA; 74 LRA
    Min Ckt amps: 17.9
    Nominal operating charge: 77 oz (R-22)

Post Likes
    AC Evaporator coils were acid washed a week before the condenser was replaced.
    Specs:
    Payne model PF1MNC036
    Prod Num: PF1MNC036000AAAA
    208 - 230 volts AC
    Motor: 2.4 FLA; 1/3 HP
    Phase 1
    60 Hz
    R-22 design PSIG: 300

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Post brand and model number of both the inside unit and the outdoor unit.
    Condenser: Goodman GSC130361GA
    Evaporator: Payne model PF1MNC036

I posted more specs on both via Quick Post.

Post Likes
    outdoor unit is an A/C only unit, R22 dry ship. Indoor may have strip heaters if your in an area that needs heat once in a while.

They may not have the proper metering device in the indoor unit.

Post Likes
    Got a nice little mismatch here but being straight cool, probably not bad enough to affect performance that much. Efficiency could be compromised a bit. Were you in there with the old system? Was it a Payne A/C that matched the air handler? Any idea what kind of failure the old outdoor unit had?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    outdoor unit is an A/C only unit, R22 dry ship. Indoor may have strip heaters if your in an area that needs heat once in a while.

They may not have the proper metering device in the indoor unit.
    +1

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Got a nice little mismatch here but being straight cool, probably not bad enough to affect performance that much. Efficiency could be compromised a bit. Were you in there with the old system? Was it a Payne A/C that matched the air handler? Any idea what kind of failure the old outdoor unit had?
    I was here before the old system was replaced but, unfortunately, I was not able to note the specs of the system that was replaced.
    All I know is that the fins of the condenser unit was at least 50% damaged when it was pelted by hail last March.
    I have a pix of the old condenser.
    Name:  Condenser-Unit.jpg
Views: 1807
Size:  74.7 KB
    Note that the front and the left side have the same damage since that was the direction the hail was coming from.
    Does that look like cosmetic damage.
    At least that's how one of the AC techs described it to the property manager which she actually believed even when I showed it to her.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by V3212 View Post
    AC Condenser unit was replaced about 3 week ago.
    Specs:
    Goodman GSC130361GA
    208 - 230 volts AC
    60 Hz
    Fan motor: 1.10 FLA; 1/6 HP
    Compressor: 13.4 RLA; 74 LRA
    Min Ckt amps: 17.9
    Nominal operating charge: 77 oz (R-22)
    Condenser Info Tag:

Name:  Condenser-Tag.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  43.8 KB

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by V3212 View Post
    AC Evaporator coils were acid washed a week before the condenser was replaced.
    Specs:
    Payne model PF1MNC036
    Prod Num: PF1MNC036000AAAA
    208 - 230 volts AC
    Motor: 2.4 FLA; 1/3 HP
    Phase 1
    60 Hz
    R-22 design PSIG: 300

Evaporator Info Tag:

Name:  Evaporator-Tag.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  54.8 KB

Post Likes
    with tag info posted, looks like an air handler and it shows TXV as metering device.

evap, if read correctly, appears to be a size match to cond unit- 3 ton.

you definitely have an issue, but without being there and the info you posted, we can only offer educated WAGs; incorrect refrig, incorrect fan speed, improper operation of TXV, leaking duct work, etc.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in