Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New AC Unit but No Cooling

Post Likes

Cost of a complete system check (including duct work)

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    with tag info posted, looks like an air handler and it shows TXV as metering device.

evap, if read correctly, appears to be a size match to cond unit- 3 ton.

you definitely have an issue, but without being there and the info you posted, we can only offer educated WAGs; incorrect refrig, incorrect fan speed, improper operation of TXV, leaking duct work, etc.
    I'll have to go with what all of you are recommending i.e. to hire a pro to check the whole system - duct work & all.
    Since it will be coming out of my own pocket & am not expecting any reimbursement, would anyone know how much it would cost to have everything checked out by a REAL CERTIFIED PRO & not just by someone who may have been certified but does not really know what they are doing?
    It's that or my electric bill goes through the roof while my family suffers.

BTW, the house I'm renting is a bungalow that has a living area of about 1600 sq ft.

Post Likes
    Your landlord might object to you hiring outside help to look at their equipment. Or might not. Either way I would contact the landlord and express your intentions.

Providing landlord gives green light, next challenge is to find a certified, competent pro who wants to work on rental property. Contractors can be reluctant to do this because prior experience with landlords objecting or tenants not paying leaves a bad aftertaste.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    In your extreme situation; if U really want help; there is some temperature data you can collect prior to getting permission to call an expert tech.

I know it seems like a lot; however, this is not difficult when U do it a step at a time & log the data. It must be done within the same time sequence to be meaningful...

All U need is a good thermometer (digital reading in tenths preferable) & and indoor Humidity Gauge

1) Tonnage & SEER of Unit &/or outdoor condenser model number: __________________

2) TXV or, orifice metering device? TXV. Only if U know…

3) Outdoor condenser’s discharge-air-temperature ______-F
    Subtract Outdoor air temperature: _______
    Outdoor Condenser Air-Temp-Split _______

4) Need the ‘Indoor’ percent of relative humidity - in the middle of the rooms or, at Return-Air inlet grilles ___
    5) Indoor Return-Air Temperature ______
    Subtract Indoor Supply-Air Temperature ______ -F
    Indoor temperature-split _______-F
    ----------------------------------------------
    If U can find a turn in the small liquid line insulate the temperature-probe; get its temperature for the subcooling analysis:
    Small liquid line temperature ____F

To measure return air the wet bulb temp, wrap a small/thin, wet (not dripping) piece of cloth around the probe and put it into the Return Air grille & then close to the closest Supply Air diffuser near the air handler (need air movement). Wait until the temperature stabilizes - may take a little while.

Return Air wet bulb ____F
    Supply Air Wet Bulb ____F

Need the above information for troubleshooting & performance analysis.

Example below:
    A Goodman 2-Ton 13-SEER condenser, @800-cfm indoor airflow; 80-F indoor dry bulb & 50% relative humidity; Indoor temp-split 18 to 19-F.
    @ 85-F outdoors; 103.9-F - 85-F outdoors or around an 18.9-F temp-split;
    @Indoor 75-F, 63-wet bulb around 50% RH - condenser temp-split is only 14.9F.
    ================
    A Tech: Below is helpful
    Indoor Total-ESP - External Static Pressure ______
    You or Tech- All Supply Air velocities in FPM: ______
    Measure supply register louvered area.
    We’ll do the math for the total CFM ______

Tech: Suction line pressure _____
    Suction-Vapor line temperature: ______
    Tech: Saturated Suction Temp – Gage - Suction Saturated Temperature. ____
    Tech- Superheat ______
    Tech- Head pressure _______
    Tech- SCT – Gage - Saturated Condensing Temp _______
    Tech- Small Liquid line - temperature: _______
    You/me/Tech- Subcooling: _______
    Return Air temp Dry Bulb &, Wet Bulb & %RH: _______
    Tech- Supply Air temp DB, WB &/or %RH: _______

Make sure the Tech does the above plus, checks the discharge temperature of the compressor _____ Too high above 225-F or too low a temp indicates problems that need attention.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in