Thread: Bedroom HOT all YEAR, HELP

Post Likes

Bedroom HOT all YEAR, HELP

So my bedroom is extremely hot all year round no matter if its winter or summer, it gets so warm that i start to sweat and i can't figure out what it is.

Right now its summer here and the AC is on all the other rooms stay nice and cool my room always is hot, in the winter i actually have to close the ducts because its gets so warm. Once you enter my room you get a burst of hot air and can quickly tell its hotter then all other rooms. If i leave my room i can for sure feel its cooler outside. My bedroom is in the middle of the house so it not the sun, and the rooms that are facing the sun are still cooler then my room.

The air flow from the duct seems fine, so i don't know what could be causing it. I would think insulation but its hot in the winter so it has to be something else.

The only thing i can think of is, all 3 other bedrooms have a cold air return and mine does not so all the warm air is getting trapped in my room.

Any input?

Post Likes
    Do you close your door at night?

Think of your room as a giant un-bustable balloon. You AC system is trying to pump a certain amount of air into your room. When your room gets so much pressure in it the balloon can't pop but the air can no longer come in either. This problem is often remedied by having a gap at the bottom of your door but it has become common for builders to fill this gap with carpet or add wooden floors but forget to adjust the door to allow the air pressure to escape.

Another common problem is builder will not do proper air balancing. When duct work is designed it should allow a certain amount of air to enter your room. We call this CFM or Cubic Feet per Minute. Through mathematical calculation we can identify the amount of heating and cooling an individual room will require. We turn this information into air changes per hour or the amount of air required to completely change out all the air in your room X number of times in one hour. This is turned into CFM. If the duct work is not properly done you will receive too little CFM and your room cannot get cold.

You need to search for an HVAC company in your area to preform a load calculation on your home and find out what the air balance of each room should be then properly adjust your homes CFM.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Post Likes
    Is the furnace and ductwork under your room? That would explain the over heating problem.

As mentioned below, probably not enough airflow required to cool the room in the summer. Some balancing might help.

A return would help if you're keeping your door closed.

Post Likes
    please describe to us the total house. include fireplaces, furnace location, attic style, etc. be as descriptive as you can.
    how large is your room?
    what size is the cool air vent? what size is the duct feeding the vent? how strong is the airflow from the vent?
    the warm in summer AND winter could be totally separate problems. but we need more information to help you figure it out.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    Thank you for the suggestions, yes i do close my door at night but there is a gab between the carpet and the door. If its enough i don't know. the room is 10x10 and has a bathroom as well, the bathroom is nice and cool but the room is still a few degrees warmer.

its a standard duct size on the floor, this is a fairly new construction just 2 years old and has always been an issue from day one. I do have a PC TV and some consoles in the room if that might be causing it to heat up so much.

Post Likes
    A computer tower that is never turned off won't help, but your problem, I am almost sure of it, is improper air balance. Your room is not receiving and allowing air to move correctly due to the duct work design. Find an HVAC company in your area that does air balancing.

Post Likes
    I'm thinking the computer tower or other heat source IS the problem. If it was airflow issue wouldn't it be cold in winter, not hot?

Post Likes
    No.

She has a bedroom that has no outside walls or only one, that means she is not going to need as much heating as the rest of the home but she will need more cooling. Think of a coffee thermistor and her room is the coffee.

Since it is all inside walls and is always hot in the summer, guess what it is gonna be like when its winter time and instead of cold air you have hot air blowing.

This is a no brainer. Fix the air imbalance.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by XcelTech View Post
    No.

She has a bedroom that has no outside walls or only one, that means she is not going to need as much heating as the rest of the home but she will need more cooling. Think of a coffee thermistor and her room is the coffee.

Since it is all inside walls and is always hot in the summer, guess what it is gonna be like when its winter time and instead of cold air you have hot air blowing.

This is a no brainer. Fix the air imbalance.
    So does airflow need to be increased in summer then decreased in winter? How do you propose to fix the "air imbalance"?

Post Likes
    By finding the amount of air replacement needed per hour in the room you can find the CFM required to be moving through the register and the size of the return. In this case the return is the gap under her door.

If the gap isn't big enough you cannot get the air to flow through the room because you are creating a static pressure build up. Basically you are creating a blockage at the end of the ductwork, which is her room.

You use a vent hood to calculate the amount of CFM entering the room. If the door gap is big enough but the CFM is not, the most likely culprit is a low static pressure in the duct work.

If the static pressure build up inside the ductwork isn't enough, air like water and electricity will take the path of least resistance.

That means a 20 inch round duct is easier to transverse then a 6 inch drop. To properly adjust these static pressure issues you add dampers to the round duct work and close them off to increase the static pressure in the area where it needs to be. The build up static pressure causes the airflow to back up until it reaches a point of least resistance and travels that path, ergo you increase the static pressure until you have enough air pressure to properly increase the CFM through her grill.

If thinking about static pressure is difficult think of it as a water hose. If you have two ends to your water hose the water comes out fairly even. Should you place a pressure head on one and leave the other open now you will have more pressure coming out of the open end but when you pull the trigger to allow the pressure to come out of the capped side because it is choked down you get alot of pressure on that end and at the same time loose pressure out of the open end.

The end result here is to choke off air flow to other rooms until you have a balanced air movement through the entire house.

Post Likes
    So does the OP need to increase summer airflow or decrease winter airflow?

Post Likes
    after further testing it seems the vents in my room is much much weaker then all the other vents in the house. So it seems to be leaking or something, any way i can figure this out and fix it my self?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jebise View Post
    after further testing it seems the vents in my room is much much weaker then all the other vents in the house. So it seems to be leaking or something, any way i can figure this out and fix it my self?
    Go in the attic and look for obvious things like a disconnected or crushed duct.

Post Likes
    Sleep with door open one night, see how that helps, that should tell you if the 'return' is too small.
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in