Thread: Trane ERV recovery system

Post Likes

Trane ERV recovery system

Hi, I just recently had central air installed in my home. I have a handler for my 1st floor, and an air handler for my basement. Each floor is about 1200 sq feet. I also wanted an erv recovery system installed on each of my floors, but my HVAC guy only installed 1 erv in my basement. My 1st floor is sheet rocked, taped, sanded, and primed already and there is no room in the closet where my handler is located on the 1st floor for an ERV system.. My hvac people installed a trane TERVR100 model erv system in my basement.. He said he would reimburse me $$$$ and tie the erv system in the basement to the air handler on the 1st floor as well as the handler in the basement. Would that work? And will it be sufficient or do I need a bigger erv system for it to work properly on 2 of my floors? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-12-2012 at 09:42 AM. Reason: pricing

Post Likes
    Most homes need an air change in 4-5 hours according to ASHRAE. If your ERV provides 100 cfm fresh air, it is large enough for 4,000 sqft. of space. Keep in mind that wind and stack effect also cause fresh air ventilation. Most homes get enough fresh air during cold windy weather. During calm winds and moderate temperature, the same home needs the 100 cfm of fresh air ventilation. In green grass climates, most homes also need some supplemental dehumidification when properly ventilation with low/no cooling loads and high outdoor dew points.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Ok thank you very much, I'm located in new York city, so if my hvac guy charged me for 2 300cfm Erv's and installed 1 100cfm erv, I should get more than 1500$ back, correct?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonse21 View Post
    Ok thank you very much, I'm located in new York city, so if my hvac guy charged me for 2 300cfm Erv's and installed 1 100cfm erv, I should get more than 1500$ back, correct?
    The model you quoted is 150 cfm air exchange which is enough for your home of 2400 sqft. For the rest of your question, see a lawyer.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Is the outside air fresh in new york city

Post Likes
    Lol not as fresh as Virginia! Lol

Post Likes
    Ok thank you Teddy Bear for your help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in