ecm 16 seer goodman fau failure

straight cool vsd 16 seer air handler non communicating 5 day old ecm failed? any info. replaced board first and tech supports says i need to get a program chip to reprogram board in fau to match requirements for straight cool. i have never had to reprogram board? i am leaning toward faulty motor. could this be pulling water out of pan shorting out ecm?

Whenever i run into a real head scratcher, I suck it up and call tech support. After 20 minutes of answering the "Is the power turned on?" and the "Are you sure the motor connector is plugged in firmly?" questions, they can point you in the right direction. Now that the obvious is out of the way, pull the ECM head and check the capacitors inside. I went to a 2 week old installed York & the blower wasn't turning on. Their were 2 capacitors in the ECM head (soldered to the board) that had popped.

i havnt pulled the head off ecm but tech support told me i needed a chip to program board at fau to match requirements for straight cool.. dont get it i have never had to do this.... but if i had to reprogram this why did the blower run for 4 days before failure? thank you for your input im just going to waranty the motor out and see what happends.. already took the board back still having same problem... kinda dissapointed definitly makes me look bad when a new system fails within 4 days.

Model # of air handler?

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_HUSKER View Post
    i havnt pulled the head off ecm but tech support told me i needed a chip to program board at fau to match requirements for straight cool.
    New to me as well.

I missed that you had already called tech support, sorry. What brand is it?

aptv426014 something, dont have it know its important but its a brand new goodman vsd 16 seer air handler. i just installed 5 days ago. my only conclusion is the fan dipswitch setting maybe to high of cfm and motor is pulling water out of pan which shorted motor.... p trap is installed and entire system is level drain pan needs to be filled about half in order to fill trap and start draining i think im going to replace ecm and spin plug connectors away from pan.... i still not getting the whole program board for straight a/c but tech support swears on it. oh yea and cabinet and insulation not wet at all but i do see some water spots out of pan maybe sucking to much and pulling some water out....

Why not become a pro member? There are several reasons it would fail... But outside of the pro forum, I am unable to reveal top secret trade secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_HUSKER View Post
    i still not getting the whole program board for straight a/c but tech support swears on it.
    There is a service bulletin on these air handlers.

These memory cards are not normally required unless you have a "NO-DATA" issue, and are not routinely used at the time of installation.

The AVPTC air handler (which I think is what you have) will contain shared data in both the motor and control board. The replacement of either the control board or the indoor fan motor will not create a “no-data” issue.

Normally a memory card would be used to restore data only if all data storage components were removed from the system. This includes the control boards for indoor and outdoor units, ECM motor and communicating thermostat.

A communicating air handler MUST have shared data to operate, even in a non-communicating, 24 volt installation.

A communicating split condenser will operate without shared data if used in a non-communicating, 24 volt installation.

I'm guessing from what you stated earlier, you are not having "NO-DATA" issues, but if tech support says to re-program the unit with a new chip - I'd take their advice and try it before swapping out a bunch of components.

Why it worked for 4 days and not now - who knows, it's electronic.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Great info dawg. I have some experience on these systems.

Nothing is more frustrating than needing some dumb memory card while the counter guys look at you with that blank stare.

Tip - Do not replace both indoor board and motor at same time or memory card will be required as shared data is lost. Do one at a time. Energize unit after each to restore communication.

How do you have unit wired full communicated or legacy?

I have found one AVPTC where one wire was pulled very slightly out of molex connector so check those very carefully.

Last but not least refer to fault code. Even though in my experience without Comm tstat codes don't help much.

It is always number 6 and that could be one of only 10 different problems