+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: noisy scroll start

Post Likes

noisy scroll start

Does anyone know if carrier/bryant od units require hard start kits when using txv? The tech support guy in Indy said if it needs it its on there but I dont know if I believe that. Im having a heat pump make alot of noise at start up making the homeowner a little edgey I have also considered a crankcase heater any help thank you!!! MW

Post Likes
    did the wiring diagram show one or is the diagram gone. that would be a good indicator. It may also even have a notation about it being an option.

Post Likes

noisy scroll

no it doesnt show one on there. It did i think show an option but I think they all do for different applications. All carriers come with txvs now so I dont know why they dont come with it. I just keep getting mixed opinions from supplyhouse tech supp dont know what is right...... really the question is would it help a noisy scroll or a heater maybe if liquid is flooding btw the charge is weighed in so I know it is not overcharged

Post Likes
    When scrolls first came out hard starts where not considered to be necessary, however over the years manufactures have in some cases installed them on larger tonnage units. As far as the CCH, not a bad idea on a HP.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacmike85 View Post
    no it doesnt show one on there. It did i think show an option but I think they all do for different applications. All carriers come with txvs now so I dont know why they dont come with it. I just keep getting mixed opinions from supplyhouse tech supp dont know what is right...... really the question is would it help a noisy scroll or a heater maybe if liquid is flooding btw the charge is weighed in so I know it is not overcharged
    The crankcase IMO may be beneficial, I would put it on. However if the scroll compressor is starting properly I don't know what a Start Capacitor will do for you..
    What about your opinion? Is the sound normal or not?
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    good question,, to me it is normal but just a little louder than I think it should be. this homeowner is used to the old r22 unit they had so they are pickin this thing apart noise wise, the defrost is louder and start up, I have been paying more atten to other 410 scrolls and they seem to make similar noise but not as loud thats my only concern, I told them its normal and its heating good they are just one of those pain in the butt so I wanna quiet it down, cant say I blame em they dont know any better

Post Likes
    The hard start provides a faster smoother start for the compressor so i don't believe it will quiet your comp. The correct charge doesn't guarantee that the system wont flood back there could be other issues.

Post Likes
    you could get a compressor jacket for it. alot of the units put them on as a standers. just for that reason

Post Likes
    Well in that case see if you can get an insulation blanket for the compressor.. What manufacturer is the equipment you installed?

I had a customer that had the same complaint. This was at a convent and the one nun slept over the unit. She had to keep her windows open all year round and swore the units were going to blow up. Its been 3 years and they are still running.

You just need to educate the customer that it is an entirely different unit the noise is Normal. Install that blanket that some manufacturers ship with their equipment and call it a day..
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    Don't use the word noise, use the word sound..........it makes a different sound than the old unit.

Post Likes
    it is carrier 4 ton hp ya she said the same thing it sounded like an explosion and then like a jet took off, what a emphasis on a little noisey compressor that heats fine if it exploded it wouldnt heat to well lol thanks though for the advice always app

Post Likes
    will they sell blankets to fit those I have only seen em on high effecient ac and hp not sure havent looked for em Koch and habegger here is where we get carrier/braynt stuff, guess I could just call tommorrow

Post Likes
    Have you explained the defrost cycle to them, because it sounds like they have experienced it.

Post Likes
    oh ya thats the sound of a jet taking off, I mean it is a little odd sounding but to me its normal just louder than it should be, I almost have to wonder if the compressor is just buying time it is only 1 yr old and they say it has always done it Im not super smart on compressors diff prob but I could tell you if it took a crap for sure

Post Likes
    but I have to say if It was my house I would not like it and thats how I try to look at things thats why they call me again I guess (I care) I know alot of companies that would blow em off, its a learning curve for me

Post Likes
    I'm sure they will have one, probably the same comp. for there other units unless you go two stage comp.

Post Likes
    you could check the amp draw to make sure there isn't a prob. there. caring is good i've been in buis for 12 years now on referrals so it does matter. It will help you to keep track of your amps volts typical pm test so you have a reference each time you do a P.M. that way you can tell if something is starting to go bad. although the load on the system will effect this. so record all of your measurements.I have had scrolls do this before and the home owner said it just started everything tested ok so we put on a comp. jacket and it been good for years. same readings each P.M.

Post Likes
    I've heard hundreds of units that sounded aweful , and keep on trucking for years and years ....

Post Likes
    no to the hard start, yes to the CCH

Post Likes
    The scroll internals are not meshed when "Off" so when powered up the compressor is basically starting "unloaded" so the amount of torque required is less than that of a recip comp.
    The sound on start up, is normal, When orbiting scroll starts to "wobble" it hits the stationary scroll, metal on metal. I tend to hear a larger sound the longer it has been off. Maybe the oil is draining from the faces, which act as a bit of a natural dampener

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in