Thread: Why not Infinity?

Post Likes

Why not Infinity?

I've been getting bids from local Carrier dealers to replace my 14 year old 3-ton Bryant split-system here in the ever hot and humid southeast Texas area. I've kinda got my mind made up to go with Carrier.

The first contractor (well, Sears, actually), went straight for a 19-SEER all Infinity system. It all sounded great to me. Here's the Infinity system:

Condenser: 24ANB136A003
    Coil: CSPH3612ATA
    Furnace/AH: 58CVA090-1-16
    Media Filter: FNCCABBCC0014
    Thermostat: SYSTXCCUID01-V

The second contractor (a large local, factory authorized Carrier dealer) didn't even mention Infinity. There's no doubt in my mind that his company knows their business and that I will get a top-notch installation but, like I said, he didn't even bring up Infinity. Here's the 17 SEER system he quoted me:

Condenser: 24ACB736A003
    Coil: CSPHP4212ATA
    Furnace/AH: 58PHA090-16
    Media Filter: Honeywell F100
    Thermostat: Honeywell 8000

And, even more interesting, the quote for the 19 SEER Infinity system is about $ less than the 17-SEER system!

What might be some of the reasons that one of the largest factory authorized Carrier dealers in my area wouldn't even propose the Carrier flagship line?

Thanks for looking...any information would be greatly appreciated.

Rick
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-11-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: price difference

Post Likes
    I would assume that Sears is subbing out the work and tacking on the finance rate, yet using a company who's overhead is much lower than the bigger company. I am surprised, still, that they came in lower. With higher SEER ratiings.

I would advise getting a few more quotes.

Post Likes
    The infinity is nice system, although i dont think i would want sears to install it . With sears it depends on what sub you get and i have seen some real crappy sears installs. Some contractors are scared of the communicating systems so they dont sale them

Post Likes
    Like catman implies, infinity/evolution brings a level of transparency/accountability some contractors would prefer to avoid.

Communicating will uncover poor design. If they oversize the equipment to duct or house, infinity makes it apparent.

I ALWAYS recommend communicating systems. Then if the homeowner makes a bad decision it's on them, not on me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in