Thread: Mold showing up at a few registers after blowing in insulation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Hmm Mold showing up at a few registers after blowing in insulation

I live in florida and 4 months ago had fiberglass insulation added in my attic over the 20yo stuff that was not sufficent. We added enough to bring it up to R45 which covered existing HVAC ductwork. Just recently some mold began appearing at a couple of the registers. I am sure the ducts we covered. Could this insulation covering the duct work be causing this mold to apprear? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Post Likes
    Yes, specially if he registers and register boxes/boots aren't sealed to the ceiling/attic side.

Post Likes
    I agree with beenthere. I would pull down all the registers in the home and look for gaps that would be letting non condition air meet condition air. If this is the case get a few tubes of caulk/silicone and seal the gaps. Replace the registers that are discolored. Also might want to replace them all so they will look the same.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in