Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Twenty five years ago People were stocking up on ammo for the fall...
    25 YEARS ago the WORLD'S economy was not so unstable. Not just our own economy and financial well being, but the world's. We are a hair's breath away from a financial collapse. If our economy collapses, the Russians and the Chineese will grab the oppertunity. They have been steadily pushing our buttons for some time.

You DO realize we are no longer the lone superpower in the world, right? Our own financial screw ups and outright theivery have screwed our financial well being.

So keep your head in the sand. Suits me. We will see in the near future who wins the Darwin award and who kicked Darwin's butt.

double post

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    Were you well stocked 13 years ago for Y2K too? What does being tocked on guns, ammo, food and iquor do for you anyway. Buy you a couple years at most? I think location is more imrpotant than preparedness. I'd want to be living in an areas with a lower population density, good access to food supplies, fresh water, and a reliable energy source not dependant on coal and a local economy not heavily dependant on financial services, corporate headquarters and related service industries (sales, marketing, legal etc.). Many parts of the midwest fit this descripton and could pretty much run self sufficeintly with limited assitance fom the overpopulated coasts.

I tend to agree that it's another pointless election. Until thre's a clean sweep on congress and washington in gernal. Whichever person is hand picked by the two ruling parties for POTUS is irrlevant.
    I didn't stock up for Y2K. I'm a geek at heart. I've had a computer since 1982. I wasn't worried.

I live on a large piece of land with three small lakes. So I have lots of fresh water and fish. The land also has plenty of small and large game. I have a large garden and plenty of room to expand that if needed. I also have a large Amish community just east of me that I already barter with.

What does stocking up do for me? Tell me what is getting cheaper. I buy supplies I normally use whenever they are on sale. My income is dependent on farmers that are in their second year of drought so I need to save every dime I can by stocking up.

jim
    Common sense isn't very common anymore.

The Russian and Chineese both rely heavily on trade with the US and Europe. More so now than 80 years ago. Economic collapse then did result in several true fascist governments to form but hte world didn;t fall into anarchy. The vacuum is always quickly filled on way or another. Humans are good at grabbing power when the opportunity arises, and about 80-90% of the population will always submit rather than resist. But there was less unity in europe, colonialism was still thriving, and there weren't superpwoers with the capability of MAD. Heck, at least 9 countries of the top of my head, with a large enough nuclear arsenal to do substantial global desturuction each on their own. Likely alliances would balance out as well. There's nothing to be gained compared to the losses.

Quote Originally Posted by ar_hvac_man View Post
    City folk will flock to areas like mine. Thats fine, they wont have a clue as to how to survive. First they will ask us to feed them, then try and take what we have. Thats why I buy extra ammo everytime i walk by the gun section. The city thugs will be easy to pick off, the real challenge will be our own neighbors
    Those who don't would probably stay put. Most city dwellers have not always lived there and quite a few have been in the military, Scouts etc and most likely have quite a bit camping and hunting experience.
    Either way humans are like pigs and dogs. They'll revert, adapt and be feral given 1/2 the chance.
    If you can't fix it with JB Weld, Duct Tape, and Ty Wire it has to be replaced.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    If you want to take off friday to go fishing then make sure you train your helper right.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123