I'm in the market for a wireless thermostat (to go with a new furnace) and wondered if Trane offers such a beast. I can see no mention of one on the Trane website.

The other option is to get a Carrier furnace with the Carrier wireless controller. Anyone have any experience with the carrier wireless system? Can it be relied on?

Thanks.

I have installed a couple. I got them through carrier. Its been atleast 5 years and havnt had any problems.
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

Look for a Honeywell wireless, it will work with any brand, and may have special features available depending on what type of system you get.

Anyway no need to choose your furnace brand based on the thermostat unless you want the brand name on the stat or something, or that brand has incorporated a specialized feature that has to work with there stat.

go with the total line made by carrier have installed many and had no problems including my fathers home good stuff

Originally posted by hivacer
    Look for a Honeywell wireless, it will work with any brand, and may have special features available depending on what type of system you get.
    One Trane installer mentioned Honeywell wireless followed by "but they don't work very well". I'll check them out.

Whatever furnace I choose it will be nice to have a wireless option.

Dont know why he would say they dont work very well, thats kind of silly, they either work or they dont. And they do work! Honeywell is a very established company maybe the leader in this field. They are the only ones Ive installed so I couldnt give advice on any others, but can verify that they do the job and are good looking thermostats.

Yeah, he seemd a bit flummoxed by the wireless question, and said something about the signal from the sensor not being picked up all the time. Seems odd since my $20 wirless thermometer does just fine over further distances.

Do you have a Honeywell model number for wireless 7-day programmable? I browsed the Honeywell website and couldn't find anything that seemed similar to the Carrier wireless unit. The only reason I want wireless is we have plans for a remodel and *might* be moving walls that we'd otherwise run a wired thermostat to. I'm also a geek!

1st of all why the reason to go wireless ?

Maybe we can dirrect you in the right way to get some 4 wire up to your T-stat location.

- Brad -
    I forgot my Pen !!!

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Think of the old stuff as dumb and strong and the new stuff as smart but just not so tough.

Go wireless, if you want to move your tstat to a new location very, very easily.

I have installed 18 in one home without fail, house built like a jail and all water source heatpump units, running new wire was not an option.

Honeywell told me I had about a 1 in 16 million chance of cross frequency. Supposedly the technology is similar or the same as Ademco, the standard in wireless Alarm Systems.

You will need a T8665 and W8665, (2) components - if you are running a multi-stage system, you will also need an EMM3U zone controller.

Early to mid 2007, Honeywell will have the VisionPro wireless...you may want to wait?

Originally posted by awsomeears
    Maybe we can dirrect you in the right way to get some 4 wire up to your T-stat location.
    And therein lies the problem. We have plans for a remodel next year and *might* be moving walls that we'd otherwise run a wired thermostat to. The wall with the current tstat will likly be gone, and rather than have to rewire another one it might end up easier going wireless. I'm also a geek!

Now available w/only 3-wires

If you haven't seen some of the other posts, YTH9421 (aka the VisionPro IAQ) needs only 3 wires at the stat with an Interface Module located at the air handler. All in one nifty package...4 stages of heat, 2 stages of cool, with dehumidification control that doesn't just overshoot setpoint like the old model.

Originally posted by awsomeears
    1st of all why the reason to go wireless ?

- Brad -