Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vstech View Post
    do you have any shade on the roof?
    No. There are 3 queen palms in the backyard along the lake, along with a magnolia tree, but they're not tall enough or close enough to shade the roof. Same issue in the front yard... one queen palm and one magnolia, but they do not shade the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Joy View Post
    No. There are 3 queen palms in the backyard along the lake, along with a magnolia tree, but they're not tall enough or close enough to shade the roof. Same issue in the front yard... one queen palm and one magnolia, but they do not shade the house.
    Energy Star
    jimj
    vstech

Have I answered all your questions? Besides insurng a Manual J load calc is completed, do you have additional advice for me?
    Last edited by Florida Joy; 08-15-2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by vstech View Post
    exactly how many registers are in your house, and what size are the ducts feeding them. from this we can get pretty good idea if it's possible for the ducts to flow the cfm the system needs.
    As I said earlier, I don't know the size of the ducts feeding the 11 registers. However, I've stood in front and/or under each duct and if I had any MORE airflow, I'd be hard pressed to keep a hat on my head with all the wind coming through each register!
    Last edited by Florida Joy; 08-15-2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: spelling

As I said earlier, I don't know the size of the ducts feeding the 11 registers. However, I've stood in front and/or under each duct and if I had any MORE airflow, I'd be hard pressed to keep a hat on my head with all the wind coming through each register!
    Thats not a good thing.
    Always here

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    Your '4 ton air handler' is likely set to 3-3.5 ton of airflow, 1200-1400 cfm. 4 ton will be set 200 cfm higher, so we can be fairly certain that's a bad idea.
    Still don't know what you meant by "that's a bad idea", so I'm asking again... What's a bad idea?

Local air flow balancing companies won't come out to a private residence (they're commerical only), While I don't "know" if my 4 ton single speed a/h is "dialed down" to a lesser airflow or not, I can "feel" that the wind coming out of my supply registers is quite strong. I believe my ducts are adequte for either a 3.5 ton or 4 ton replacement system. If Manual J calculation indicates a 4 ton dual compressor, I don't believe I'll have an airflow problem.

Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    Thats not a good thing.
    ???

We have 108 posts on this topic. All trying to help you achieve your goals. Of the 108 posts, not one mention of the static pressure on the duct system. Not one, this is very important. OK, lets forget the total CFM look see and settle for the total external static pressure. Any contractor who is submitting you a quote for a XL20i two stage communicating HVAC system and hasn't checked this out (for his own protection) by using an instrument that you could get for under one hundred dollars is not the contractor you may want. This is just my opinion.

??? = post 110 = "Keeping your hat on your head"
    Always here

We have 108 posts on this topic. All trying to help you achieve your goals. Of the 108 posts, not one mention of the static pressure on the duct system. Not one, this is very important. OK, lets forget the total CFM look see and settle for the total external static pressure. Any contractor who is submitting you a quote for a XL20i two stage communicating HVAC system and hasn't checked this out (for his own protection) by using an instrument that you could get for under one hundred dollars is not the contractor you may want. This is just my opinion.
    I believe it was suggested by someone in this thread that I hire air balancing folks to compute cfm and esp. That's not going to happen in my neck of the woods, since I'm not a "commercial entity". I was not aware "any" HVAC contractor should be able to determine ESP. Perhaps that's something they'd do during installation as part of their equipment setup. Since a contractor may only "close" on 1 out of 10 jobs they quote, time spent quoting a job is often a waste of time for the contractor. Just like Manual J load calculation, I can't see anyone doing extensive testing and evaluation until AFTER I commit to their doing the job for me. I would guess if I "hire" them, they would do Manual J calculations and determine ESP, and if extra ductwork is required, they would have me pay extra for that, if I wanted it done.

??? = post 110 = "Keeping your hat on your head"
    If I were wearing a hat standing in front of the supply register, any higher airflow would blow it off my head! Perhaps not literally, but the airflow is quite strong as it stands now. Is a strong airflow a bad thing?

I thought they did a manual j already? They did right?
    Always here

I believe it was suggested by someone in this thread that I hire air balancing folks to compute cfm and esp. That's not going to happen in my neck of the woods, since I'm not a "commercial entity". I was not aware "any" HVAC contractor should be able to determine ESP. Perhaps that's something they'd do during installation as part of their equipment setup. Since a contractor may only "close" on 1 out of 10 jobs they quote, time spent quoting a job is often a waste of time for the contractor. Just like Manual J load calculation, I can't see anyone doing extensive testing and evaluation until AFTER I commit to their doing the job for me. I would guess if I "hire" them, they would do Manual J calculations and determine ESP, and if extra ductwork is required, they would have me pay extra for that, if I wanted it done.

If I were wearing a hat standing in front of the supply register, any higher airflow would blow it off my head! Perhaps not literally, but the airflow is quite strong as it stands now. Is a strong airflow a bad thing?
    Yes it can be for several reasons, noise, heat dissipation from your body making it feel drafty and your body reacting to it and picking up excess heat from the duct itself along with using excess energy to produce the high velocity.

I thought they did a manual j already? They did right?
    No... I never said they did Manual J. They did a rule of thumb load calcuation for my Central East Coast Florida location based on their "experience" with average temps and humidity, square footage, number and type of glass doors and windows, type of roofing, height of ceilings, lack of shade trees, so on and so forth. All contractors confirmed by rule of thumb that 3.5 ton was appropriate (single compressor) for a straight replacement and all but one confirmed that 4 ton (two stage) was appropriate to get the best energy efficiency and comfort. The one lone Carrier dealer said only a 3.5 ton was appropriate, so I wouldn't be able to upgrade to a 2 stage.

The contractors I'm actually considering said Manual J was required by code and they would do it if they got the job.

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Yes it can be for several reasons, noise, heat dissipation from your body making it feel drafty and your body reacting to it and picking up excess heat from the duct itself along with using excess energy to produce the high velocity.
    Hmmm... maybe I should have re-phrased my question. Considering the fact that I have a very strong airflow with my existing 3.5 ton condenser/4 ton air handler setup (which is struggling to maintain 77 degrees in the late afternoon), does that indicate my ducts wouldn't handle the airflow from a 4 ton two stage XL20i?

Not good. I would be hesitant to sign with someone who wants to do the actual load calculation after he was awarded the job. What if he finds you only need a three ton? You getting money back? You do know that more systems are installed over sized than correctly sized! You also know that if the temp is 90 to 110 like is was this summer and you have too much air blowing out the vents you may just be short cycling on and off all day long. You may just feel a bit damp. Please note I want you to be happy, I'm not busting on you. We're not looking for a legal pad of documents before you sign, just wanna know the correct size. Think it's code anyways.
    Always here

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 ... LastLast