Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 Ton Voyager

30 Ton Voyager

I was working on a 30 Ton Trane Voyager. It was tripping on high pressure. It has two compressors and three condenser fans. Fan #3 was running back wards and pulling high amps on one leg. the fan motors are 460 V. 1 Ph. When two of the fans are running, the third fan is spinning back wards and when it is powered, it runs back wards. I replaced the motor and capacitor for fan #3 and cleaned the condenser coil good. When I ran it in test mode and brought on compressor #2 which starts fan #3, it still ran back wards. In fact, if you power any two fans and then power the last fan, it will run back wards.
    But after replacing the one motor, if you let the unit run in normal mode, which is Tracer, all motors run the right direction. This is because when it calls for the 2nd stage of cooling, the 1st stage goes off for a few seconds which lets the fans slow down, then both contactors pull in and everything runs fine. This building has two of the same units and they both operate this way. Have you guys seen this before and is there a good fix to keep the fans from spinning back wards when not in use.

If two fans are spinning backwards its most likely because they're pinwheeling.

Air running through the blades spinning them backwards.

If they're getting power to a leg on the motor when they shouldnt then someone monkeyed with the wiring and it needs to be repaired.

Should be a schematic you can refer to.

Don't you have to split those coils also?
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

fans

check the k4 relay . I bet your contacts are welded closed.

those are triple split coils

Real fun to clean.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Sorry for the delay, I just got back from vacation.

Six- The fans are pinwheeling, if one fans is on, the other two pinwheel, but not real fast so the 2nd fan can overcome it when it starts. When two fans are running, the 3rd is pinwheeling fast and then runs back wards. The schematic shows four fans but has a small insert for three fans, but not all of the wire numbers match. Trane likes to do this for some reason.

gwoner-The k4 relay is not welded shut, I had to jump it at times to get the fan to run.

superfittertech- It is a two coil condenser, not sure if they can be split. You would four guys or a crane to get the top off. But if it is like the 20 ton units, the coil can't be split.

Quote Originally Posted by hands View Post
    Sorry for the delay, I just got back from vacation.

Six- The fans are pinwheeling, if one fans is on, the other two pinwheel, but not real fast so the 2nd fan can overcome it when it starts. When two fans are running, the 3rd is pinwheeling fast and then runs back wards. The schematic shows four fans but has a small insert for three fans, but not all of the wire numbers match. Trane likes to do this for some reason.

gwoner-The k4 relay is not welded shut, I had to jump it at times to get the fan to run.

superfittertech- It is a two coil condenser, not sure if they can be split. You would four guys or a crane to get the top off. But if it is like the 20 ton units, the coil can't be split.

Have you ever split a Trane coil Hands?
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas Duster View Post
    Have you ever split a Trane coil Hands?
    Yes, I have split Trane and Carrier coils many times. But on the 20 ton Trane RTU's I have worked on, the coils can't be split. I havn't checked the 30 ton unit I have been talking about because you have to lift the top to see how the coil is made.

Have you been able to split coils on 30 ton Trane Voyager's. The Model number is #YCD360A4HK1A2DH1ABC00F0H00000.

Quote Originally Posted by hands View Post
    Yes, I have split Trane and Carrier coils many times. But on the 20 ton Trane RTU's I have worked on, the coils can't be split. I havn't checked the 30 ton unit I have been talking about because you have to lift the top to see how the coil is made.

Have you been able to split coils on 30 ton Trane Voyager's. The Model number is #YCD360A4HK1A2DH1ABC00F0H00000.
    I've done 301's and have heard about the 360's and 420's. Me thinks super fitter tech must know something about it.
    UA 100

The only problem I have had with fans spinning backwards on this unit (and it was twice in one summer) was a 2 yr old unit that the caps failed on at different times. First was fan 3, then one of the 2 for the first stage. Replaced both caps only, motors were fine. Haven't had that problem since. Are you sure you changed the right cap? And did you check the other 2?

Had a ton of cap failures in the last 2 yrs...........

Quote Originally Posted by Workin4TheMan View Post
    The only problem I have had with fans spinning backwards on this unit (and it was twice in one summer) was a 2 yr old unit that the caps failed on at different times. First was fan 3, then one of the 2 for the first stage. Replaced both caps only, motors were fine. Haven't had that problem since. Are you sure you changed the right cap? And did you check the other 2?

Had a ton of cap failures in the last 2 yrs...........
    I replaced the capacitor for fan three first, but it didn't make a difference. I then tested the other two capacitors and they were good. The thing that got me was I could switch the plug connectors and the motor would run fine. I switched around fan one and fan three so three was the first fan and it ran good, but then the other fan one would run backwards and so on. I was thinking the motors were getting weak. But the new motor did the same thing when I ran them in test mode.

Did you check voltage to motors when they run backwards and amp draw ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast