+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Additional coiled vapor & liquid lines rolled up on rooftop

Post Likes

Additional coiled vapor & liquid lines rolled up on rooftop

I found this very recently installed equipment on a rooftop today at my employers site. Two condensing units for walk in's both tubed the same way. Why wouldn't the installing tech cut back the extra tubing? Only one unit showing in this picture but there were two. Both walk-in's are in service and working good for the moment. And he left his trash up there too. And yes, the roof is collecting water, this is an additional issue.

Is this a new method? Is this even acceptable? What issues might this create in the coming months & years?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    I'll keep on preaching. It only a sec to cut the excess off, swag, rebraze and vacuum and a quick blast of refer to break the vac before you make the connections.. Keep the copper to up the profit for your truck and/or scrap it. Depending on how high the condensor is above the evap I would say that poor oil return may cause premature compressor failure.

Post Likes
    and in my opinion it looks sloppy. And the next tech that comes behind you that cares about his work is gonna think the same think.

Imagine if you got a new shingle roof and the roofer didn't trim the edges so they were all the same. He could say that it will still perform as it was designed to and your roof is fine.. Another roofer that takes pride in his work says, "That looks like s*it.

And yes I know that some manufacters say that the coil can be put below the condensor is a lazy downward spiral. Manitowoc for instance. It still looks like poop.

Post Likes
    Those are pre-charged linesets with special fittings on either end that connect up to each unit. Cutting them would result in having to solder and break out the torches, nitrogen, and vacuum pump. That's too much work hauling that stuff up there and would mess up a slam-bam install. Beer-thirty starts when cold air is a' blowin!

Kind of obvious here, isn't it? Don't get too down about this.... There are still craftsmen out there who take pride in their trade. One of them just posted a reply in your thread, lol.

Post Likes
    After a few years the liquid line will leak due to it rubbing together. I repaired quite a few of these in the 80's in Atlanta.

Post Likes
    I seen this recently & even posted in the w.o.s. ... I don't get it & the majority will agree about cutting back the lines. Some people just don't care about anything but getting in, out & paid.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    I to cut the lines, but I think it is crap that they do not have access fittings and you "lose" the charge on the line. Then you have to install fittings to evac and pre-charge. Last install netted me 200' of line sets.

Post Likes
    At least they laid them flat. I've seen them laid upright in ceilings. Where did all the oil go?
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Well at least they zip tied them togather! That should hold.

Post Likes
    I don't see what the big deal is. What difference does it make from functional stand point compared to that unit being away by however many feet of coiled tubing and the tubing is laid out flat under the roof?

You can't not have refrigeration while roof is getting worked on and if the unit is where until the intended spot is clear to use, I don't know why its a big deal.

Post Likes
    Just looks like sh!t i.m.o

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79 View Post
    Just looks like sh!t i.m.o

Who are you trying to impress? If there is no technical or safety issues, let it be.
    If there was a plan for future relocation, what they did was a brilliant idea.

Post Likes
    We are professionals. We expect professional pay so we shall give professional work. Tired of laziness. If they were smart they should move the unit to a dry location.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanHas View Post
    Who are you trying to impress? If there is no technical or safety issues, let it be.
    If there was a plan for future relocation, what they did was a brilliant idea.
    I just try to make my work look as nice as possible and that looks horrible. And for your idea on future relocation . . . Cmon now. Damn near the same amount of work would have to go into that if they planned on moving it.

Post Likes
    It's crap. My boss would fire me if I did that, all that excess on the roof down here would decrease capacity in the heat.

Post Likes
    years ago Lennox made unites that the length and dia. of the liquid was the metering device. you void the warranty if you shortened or added to them. needless to say they didn't last long.
    a stupid question is a question you wont to ask, but don't

Post Likes
    Does anyone have a picture of a pre charged line set?? I have never seen one.

I think it looks like poop but so does un painted gas pipe in my book I saw in this pic it was painted yellow to code in Ontario

Post Likes
    They look very similar to this. There will be a tag with the type of refrigerant in them.

http://www.randgsupply.com/Warehouse...ndstubkits.htm

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in