Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Water Furnace Envision Decision

What might have caused my Geo's coil to leak and the TXV to go bad in < 1 yr?

Bad Luck. We have an installed base of over 2000 Water Furnace systems, and normally dont see tvx problems for several years after the install and once in a blue moon on the coax coils. The air coils are not giving near the problems that they were just 4 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. I hope the replacement coil is an upgraded one and that they do a clean install. The HVAC tech said TXV is the harder of the 2 parts to replace. Didn't W/F have coil problems secondary to formicary corrosion?

W/FI,

Thanks for the e-mail and assistance in remedying the problems.

Yes, and if I recall north fla was the apex for that issue? I would love to know what the issue with north fla is/was in regard to "formicary corrosion".
    Eric
    Eric Sackett
    weberwelldrilling.com
    Delta P= 8 ATA
    www.youtube.com/weberwelldrilling

I read too that there was a geographic relationship with formicary corrosion and N FL was @ the epicenter. I sent an e-mail yesterday to a W/F customer service rep I had been dealing with even before I had my unit installed and I raised the specter of formicary corrosion assoc w/ W/F Geo coils, so I will be interested in her reply on Mon.

Below is W/F's response on another Geo forum:

05-22-2012 - Add Post To Favorites

WF_Inc

GEO Member
    Industry Professional

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JRBGEO,

You are correct. As of March of 2010, we began using the FormiShieldPlus coating process in an effort to assist our homeowners in the prevention of Formicary Corrosion. All coils with the FormiShieldPlus are double coated and more durable over a wider range of corrosive agents. WaterFurnace is one of the first manufacturers in the industry to use this process and our testing shows that it will protect against Formicary Corrosion and prolong the life of the coils.

As for the aluminum coils, some manufacturers have used these coils with success; however, aluminum coils may not be the answer in all environments. WaterFurnace has a policy of continual product research and development to ensure that we are offering the most beneficial products to our customers.

I had read that reply, and IMHO I felt like it was "smoke". Here WF had the coil issue, and not the other players???
    Eric
    Eric Sackett
    weberwelldrilling.com
    Delta P= 8 ATA

W/F monitors this site and other forums, so it would be interesting if they weigh in. I wonder why they have not explored aluminum coils, which dominate the automotive radiator market.

That is a good question about the aluminum. As to their forum participation...... It is very stiff and definately protective. "we reviewed our files and suggest you contact your WF dealer"
    Eric
    Eric Sackett
    weberwelldrilling.com
    Delta P= 8 ATA

I just hope this isn't a chronic problem that I will have to deal with in the future when I have less warranty.

RoseRx,

We have read your comments and are unfamiliar with your situation. Please provide your model number, serial number, and the name of the contractor you are working with so we may look into your inquiry further. If you do not wish to post your information publicly, please feel free to send us a private message.

Respectfully,

WaterFurnace International, Inc.

W/FI,

Thanks for the reply. I have already rec'd a pair of e-mails from a couple of your W/FI coworkers and they seem genuinely interested in my problem and I have conveyed the info below.

Energy Systems' HVAC tech is the one who discovered the coil leak and the bad TXV. He too was surprised of the defect, being that the unit was installed in Dec 2012 and they will be contacting me to set up an appt to replace the defective components. He added more refrigerant and it is cooling OK.

Model: NDV038B101CTR S/N: 11100285 Job # 145279

I hope once the new parts are installed my Geo woes will resolved.

The

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast