Question

Hey folks.

A few things up front:
    House size: 950 sq foot
    Inside unit: Janitrol CK24-18
    Outside unit: Janitrol A24-10
    Installation: seven-ish years ago, air intake very badly designed

We bought the house five years ago in February so we didn't really get a good feeling for how well the system worked, but on a hot day (upper 90's) the house would typically read in the upper 80's to low 90's. This year we replaced the 50-year-old windows with new superdeduper double pane ones that are really good, and fixed most of problems with the intake, so the system instead has been keeping the house in the mid-80's worst case, usually in the low 80's. We've tried to take care of the system over the years but it obviously has had a hard time of it.

Anyway, on Monday the compressor stopped working. We've tried several times since then but it refuses to come on. We've had several quotes from different companies and are satisfied we could get a good deal on a new system, but we're very strapped for money right now (I've picked up a second job just to catch up) so can't really afford to go down that route.

The question is, would it be even possible to patch up the a/c system for another year, or are we without any options at this point? If so, which parts would we be looking at replacing? We really want to get someone out to look at it but if there's no hope in fixing it we'd rather put that money towards replacing it.

One quick FAQ The spec sheet for the Janitrol system says it does 23,000 total BTUHs with that combination of units, with a "sensible BTUH" of 17,200, so what does that equate to in terms of the "tonnes" that systems are rated as today?

Thanks.

Damien

Make the call for service would be your best bet IMHO, may actually be something simple that they can fix inexpensively no way to see from here. If it turns out to be not worth the repair cost they are already there and can give you replacement options and cost.
    When you give a lesson in meanness to a critter or a person, don't be surprised if they learn their lesson.

The CK model is a bit older then seven years. There are way too many factors to consider as to whether you should replace or repair.

If it were me; I'd have a reputable contractor evaluate the system to determine exactly what is wrong. If it is something that can be repaired for under $400, I would consider it. Any major issue, such as a dead compressor, I would go for a new system.

You have a nominal 2 ton system (12,000 Btu per ton) that can actually do just under a full 2 ton of cooling if there is no humidity. With full load humidity the system is capable of 17,200 Btu of cooling.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

This is turtle.

First i'm sorry to hear that you got a hack to turn a good piece of janitrol equipment into a piece of junk. Janitrol did nothing but furnish the equipment and the Hack did the rest. if you send me your address i will send you a post card to try to cheer you up for such a butchery of a fine piece of equiment.

Second , You don't try to fix or tell what is wrong with the system without a respectiable hvac service company come out and tell you what the problem is. Getting quotes is a hacker's dream come true for they may get to do it to you again with maybe a Carrjunk or maybe a Tranajunk.

Thirdly ; would you buy a new car of 3 years old because it will not crank ? LORD , the auto industry Loves you !

Forthly : Most of the CK series Janitrols condenser units will blow a capasistor out about 5 to 10 years of age and just change the capsistor and move on. wait a minute , don't do that for some poor soal hvac installer needs to sell you a new unit to feed his family. i will help him out -- You need to buy a new system !

Fiftly : If you go buy a new car because your 3 years car will not crank , then you should go buy a new hvac system because your 7 year old hvac system will not crank.

Sixthly : if you don't have the money to find out what is wrong with it , you surely don't have the money to buy a new one. i'm a hvac contractor and beginning to like the way you think for your my kind of customer.

seventhly : a hvac installer company is not going to tell you that you only need to change the capasister to fix it and will just give you a bid to replace it. don't expect the man to cut his own throat and tell you it's a very eazy fix to change the capsistor and not get a big money paying job of selling you a new system.

eightly : get a service company out there to change the capisistor on that 7 year old CK series condenser unit. here is your odds on this condenser. 90% of the time it is the busted 30/5 uf 370 volt G/E capsistor , 5% of the time it is the conpressor bad , 3% of the time it is the fan motor out on it, 1% of the time it is a burnt wire, and 1% of the time it is ants in the contactor.

Hey look , get you a good hvac service company out there and tell you what is wrong with it and fix it to be able to keep on running. that CK series condenser unit like you have should have blown the capisitor before now back about when it was at 3 to 5 years old.

TURTLE

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Before going with a larger system,if you replace it,look at adding insulation to the attic and crawl space,if it has one.

Increasing the size means you'll need larger air ducts,plus the larger size will cost more to run,insulation could allow you to stay with the same size system and ducts.

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    The CK model is a bit older then seven years. There are way too many factors to consider as to whether you should replace or repair.

If it were me; I'd have a reputable contractor evaluate the system to determine exactly what is wrong. If it is something that can be repaired for under $400, I would consider it. Any major issue, such as a dead compressor, I would go for a new system.

You have a nominal 2 ton system (12,000 Btu per ton) that can actually do just under a full 2 ton of cooling if there is no humidity. With full load humidity the system is capable of 17,200 Btu of cooling.

This is turtle.

Robo , i back in July 1999 bought 40 to 50 CK series and the likes condenser units + air handlers + gas furnaces at a BBQ sales at the Goodman warehouses. i was selling CK series up till the middle of the year 2000 or later. All these units had date codes back at 1995 to 1997 and was still fully warrantied but just out of date -- date codes. i bought $65K of equipment for about $25K and loved those BBQ sales but all sales was final with no return but fully warrantied, but they did let me bring one back because it did not have a compressor in it . i at that time learned about the bristol compressor in them. i wish they would bring The BBQ sales back.

The CK was still being sold in the years 2000 or newer.

TURTLE

With full load humidity the system is capable of 17,200 Btu of cooling.
    Just to clarify, a full latent load will cut into the sensible. Unless you fiddle around with excess air flow, you will not get more than 17,200 sensible no matter what the humidity. As I said you can cut into that but as the spec sheets say you have roughly 6,000 btuhs availabe for humidity control before you start pecking away at the sensible.

Are there any homes in Florida that can be cooled with a 2 ton system? I imagine a fairly small, supertight, highly insulated home with a white roof and the best glass made hiding under a bunch of cypress trees would be it.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by docholiday

Just to clarify, a full latent load will cut into the sensible. Unless you fiddle around with excess air flow, you will not get more than 17,200 sensible no matter what the humidity. As I said you can cut into that but as the spec sheets say you have roughly 6,000 btuhs availabe for humidity control before you start pecking away at the sensible.

Are there any homes in Florida that can be cooled with a 2 ton system? I imagine a fairly small, supertight, highly insulated home with a white roof and the best glass made hiding under a bunch of cypress trees would be it.
    Just to clarify,there's water under the cypress trees,we sell that land too,but you don't build there,you build under the palm trees,not much shade!LOL!

Originally posted by dash
    Originally posted by docholiday

Just to clarify,there's water under the cypress trees,we sell that land too,but you don't build there,you build under the palm trees,not much shade!LOL!
    I actually know better....sorry for that off the cuff comment. I have actually had to diagnose a system that produced near zero actual cooling due to the house drawing water into the concrete flooring through an underground water way that put the floor right at the water table line.

Originally posted by turtle

This is turtle.

Robo , i back in July 1999 bought 40 to 50 CK series and the likes condenser units + air handlers + gas furnaces at a BBQ sales at the Goodman warehouses. i was selling CK series up till the middle of the year 2000 or later. All these units had date codes back at 1995 to 1997 and was still fully warrantied but just out of date -- date codes. i bought $65K of equipment for about $25K and loved those BBQ sales but all sales was final with no return but fully warrantied, but they did let me bring one back because it did not have a compressor in it . i at that time learned about the bristol compressor in them. i wish they would bring The BBQ sales back.

The CK was still being sold in the years 2000 or newer.

TURTLE
    This is true. I still see five year old equipment in warehouses. My own experience with working with Goodman since 1999 was to have not seen CK units left in stock, but that factor changes from location to location.