New Lennox EL296V furnace install question.

They are installing a new Lennox EL296V 2stage furnace and Xc14 A/C controlled by a Lennox 7000 series thermostat. The installer, rather then run additional wires, wants to set the thermostat to 1 stage and set the furnace switches to change motor speeds..... is that making best use of the system?
    David

No....

why have a 2 stage furnace that only works on TIME vs. Demand?
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

No, it is not the best way to do it.
    Ask for the 2 stage stat.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Thanks.... makes sense to me.

Ask for a Vision Pro IAQ or Prestige IAQ or Aprilaire 8910. That will solve your problems and give you a great control. They will also do humidifiers, dehumidify on demand, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Ask for a Vision Pro IAQ or Prestige IAQ or Aprilaire 8910. That will solve your problems and give you a great control. They will also do humidifiers, dehumidify on demand, etc.
    I agree. Ask for honeywell IAQ tstat. Of course it will cost them more but u are buying a great furnace and and should get all of the features it provides. Putting a single stage tsat on is just the easy way out

just a caution, and maybe unfounded, but if they are cutting corners there make sure they don't in other places as well.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Thanks for all the comments. The 7000 series is the the match for the furnace and a/c and I did insist they run the additional wiring and use the 2 stage in the setup. As per pacnw's comment... you're correct it doesn't instill confidence when you see something like that.
    There was one other thing, and maybe I should be starting a new thread, but they were also suggesting I don't need the outside fresh air to the return any longer (I do not have an HRV ) because they installed a new intake.... but that is for combustion only I believe.

By the way I went on-line to check out the Honeywell thermostats and that would have made total sense seeing that was the thermostat I had and all they would have had to add was the unit at the furnace...... Canada eh!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by David2012 View Post
    There was one other thing, and maybe I should be starting a new thread, but they were also suggesting I don't need the outside fresh air to the return any longer (I do not have an HRV ) because they installed a new intake.... but that is for combustion only I believe.
    sounds like they MAY not quite up to speed on the function of things.

IF the fresh air duct ties into the return air duct, it is NOT for combustion air. It is for dilution of the house "crap" off gassing. You should still keep this!!!

IF it is not connected to anything and just is an open duct in the room, they are most likely correct.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

It is tied into the return air.... I told them not to remove it.

Figured it would cause excess moisture in the home if I removed it

really sounds like you have some uninformed individuals.