A solution to defrosting with an Oil furnace - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    so when it finishes defrost and switches back to condenser inside the left over heat in heat exchanger could cause a high pressure trip. Am I understanding that correctly?

I would also like to add that if possible I think the indoor coil should be on the return side of furnace.

Read back down through the thread and saw where been there said not to put coil in the return, what is the reasoning behind that?

if the heat exchanger is too hot when it comes out of defrost, it can trip the HPS and lock out the heat pump.

An evap coil in the return will cause condensation in the oil furnaces heat exchanger in the summer, and rot it out from the inside out. You also lose some of your heat pumps heat capacity to heating the chimney.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    if the heat exchanger is too hot when it comes out of defrost, it can trip the HPS and lock out the heat pump.

An evap coil in the return will cause condensation in the oil furnaces heat exchanger in the summer, and rot it out from the inside out. You also lose some of your heat pumps heat capacity to heating the chimney.
    Thanks been there. As an inexperienced tech I appreciate the fact that you take the time to answer my questions. I feel blessed to be able to come here and ask questions and get answers from guys who are probably some of the best inn the trade, definitely a fortunate thing for younger technicians.

Beenthere is not that great, he's just old and seen it all.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

if you get to work on any gas/electric RTUs. look at how rusted out the heat exchangers get with the evap coil before the gas heat exchanger. It can be real eye opener as to how quickly a HE can rust out from condensate forming in the HE from the A/C.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by mlstark View Post
    Beenthere is not that great, he's just old and seen it all.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    And bald. LOL
    Contractor locator map

Open forum, so do not want to get too detailed.

As Beenthere said, evap in the supply above the oil HX, defrost limit switch, dual fuel stat with OD sensor AND move the original fan/limit switch if normal older style mechanical type.

I have seen this several times this year, customer going on the cheap picking company and they melted the evap pan. Most likely cause, fan/limit switch in original spot and it allowing too high temp before activating( won't get anymore specific than that in this forum).
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

thanks for the input you guys this site is awesome

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12