Honeywell XC5010

Trying to integrate two of these panels to a Jace-6 using infocon's cbus driver and an easy IO gateway. I'm able to discover both panels and a point discovery in one of them works fine. All the points are there and updating. The other panel I can't get anything out of a point discovery. The 2 panels are connected by Cbus and there's no front end, just a display on one of them that allowed access to the other by going to "remote login". The panel that isn't talking doesn't show up in "bus wide access" either.

I verified there was no issues with addressing or baud rate (all are at 9600). I took the display from the panel that is communicating and plugged it into the one that is not and I can see all of the points and values, ect. The I/O is operating and controlling the equipment fine. The bus wire itself is good, as my jace is on the other side of the building and can talk to the good panel no problem. Any ideas on how I can restore cbus com on this panel? Is there anyway to 100 percent verify the CPU is bad? Any input is appreciated. Btw, I do not have the project database. I do have CARE 8.0 and a dongle but I'm guessing because of the age of this panel there can/will be issues.

matt

I have never used the Infocon interface, are you connecting directly to the cbus with it or is it using the B-port of the controller you can talk to?

I think you may have a version problem here, especially with the older XC5010 controllers. Where you plug into the controller with the MMI, does it have a 9 pin serial connection or the older rectangular one with the pins exposed and sticking out.
    I cannot remember the version that did not support buswide MMI but its something like 1.04 and before and they all had the older rectangular plug socket.
    You can check with your XL-Online to see the controller versions.

Another way to possibly see if the controllers are talking, is to check if any global points are in 'online' condition. Again you will need to access the working controller with XL-Online and peruse the datapoints, at the bottom of the list should be any global points. these are rather unhelpfully labelled as remote in XL-Online, but if you click on one of them you should see in the righthand window where its coming from or going to and at the bottom if its actually getting through or being sent by the other controller. If you have a list full of 'no response' then it may be an indication that the C_Bus has failed on the troublesome controller.
    Also look at the TX/RX lights on the controller, are they flashing?

On the CPU failure point. If the red light flashes (even momentarily) in normal use, it ususally means that something is wrong. From memory it will flash on bootup and/or restart, but it should remain off normally.
    You can use XL-Online to see if the program is running. This shouldnt stop the point discovery though.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply Keith. I'm connected directly to the Cbus using an Infocon Easy IO Sedona controller that is flashed specifically for Cbus. The jace is talking to the Easy IO gateway via Cbus tcp over Ethernet. http://www.easyio.com/easyio-30p-sf.

There is no 9 pin connector on either of the cpu's. Just the other style connector that you described. The display is plugged into this port. Can I connect to this port using a standard type connector? I must have about 20 different connectors in my bag and I've never seen this one before. Even if I can connect using XL online, what does that provide me that the display doesn't? The facilities guys at the site say that they used to be able to login to the other panel no problem. It was their only means of changing room temp set points.

Is there a way to upload the database using Care? if it is a firmware issue I would assume I can update the firmware but after that the project would have to be downloaded back to the controller? I have Care 8.0 on my laptop with a USB dongle but I also have access to some older machines that are licensed with older versions of Care. Personally, I'm not very familiar with Care in general. I took a class about 6 years ago and haven't really seen much of it since. I have used Infocon's driver to integrate to these panels in the past and have not had any problems.

Matt

You need an XW584 cable. You should be able to get these still from Honeywell. XW584 is the part number as well I seem to remember.
    This lead is about 6" long and has a 9pin serial socket with a 14 pin socket to go into the controller.
    Without it, you cannot upload or download the RACL program, or acess it with XL-Online. Additionally you cant perform any firmware upgrades.

XL-Online is just a lot easier to use in my opinion. Plus it does seem to give more information than using an MMI.

Uploading to your present version of CARE should not be a problem. Remember though, that you cannot reverse engineer a CARE project from a controller upload. You can save the upload to any directory you like, it does not have exist in the CARE projects directory.

Your second paragraph states that buswide MMI was possible at some point. So it looks to be a controller number, baud rate issue. Of course the UART on the C-Bus side could be blown on the faulty controller. If so, then these controllers are a rare as rocking horse poo now. (Well they are on the eastern side of the pond anyhow)

By the way, is it possible that the polarity of the C-bus connections to the problem controller have been swapped? it cant hurt giving it a try. And check the TX/RX lights on both controllers with the infocon unit off the bus.

Unless you have definite information on the C-Bus numbers of these two controllers my guess would be that they are numbered 2&3, No.1 was usually reserved for a central computer interface like a BNA or at this age an XPC500 card. Like I said before, you could see if any global points are assigned, if so then these should tell you what controller number the point is expected to go to or come from, if someone has changed the controller numbers in the past then the global points most probably wont be working.

Ok so I discovered that the Cbus card in the CPU was the problem. I swapped the card with the one that WAS working and sure enough it worked fine. Got a new XD505a card and all is good. Thanks for the help Keith.

XD505A cards

I change a lot of XD505A cards, most of the time due to lightning strikes. It is always the first thing I look at.