Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carrier Infinity Zoning / Modulating

Hi,

I'm building a new house with my wife. I am looking at the carrier infinity zoning system and am looking for clarification on how the system actually operates.

I plan on having 7 zones (one for each of the 4 bedrooms upstairs, one for the main floor and two zones in the basement). Some zones will be quite small but I understand this shouldn't be a problem with the infinity system.

What I am wondering is if the infinity 98 system will modulate up and down even when one zone is calling in an attempt to achieve the longest possible runtimes (e.g., if one small zone is calling, it will start at its lowest available fire rate which I believe is 40%, and modulate up and down based on the load-tracking of that zone... or if other zones call it will increase fire rate and so on).

I currently have the Lennox SLP98V in my home, and I understand that the harmony iii board does not modulate the furnace at all - it will only start the furnace at a static fire rate based the percentage jumpers into the board. NO modulating capability.

I know the infinity 98 will modulate up and down in a single zone application (as will the slp98v) - but how about in zoning applications as I described above?

... and any HVAC guys want to tackle my project in Toronto?

Many thanks

For anyone with similar questions - I found the answer here:

http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc.../zone-01dg.pdf

As a follow-up ... if the zoning system closes all dampers when the temperature is satisfied, what happens if I want to add an HRV/ERV to the system using the existing ductwork and interlocked to the furnace fan.

When the furnace fan comes on with the HRV (system is off and all set points have been satisfied) will the carrier zoning system open the dampers so that air can flow when the HRV calls and asks the furnace to start the fan?

Whoever designs the zone system needs to follow the Infinity design guides exactly. There is no room for error. Bedrooms are typically to small to be individual zones.

I believe when setup properly with the HRV, the system will do the same as if you had the fan operating for Cont circulation.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Quote Originally Posted by comfortdoc View Post
    Whoever designs the zone system needs to follow the Infinity design guides exactly. There is no room for error. Bedrooms are typically to small to be individual zones.

I believe when setup properly with the HRV, the system will do the same as if you had the fan operating for Cont circulation.
    I guess the follow-up question to that is will it work if I don't connect the HRV to the infinity control. Based on my research on this site I would prefer to use the venmar platinum controller, as it seems it will allow for intermittent air exchanges based on time that the infinity control will not.

So the platinum controller would turn on the HRV, which would then energize the furnace fan (I think it is the G terminal) ... but would the dampers open based on this if all zones were satisfied?

No. I suggest finding a contractor that understands what you want to do, and letting them help you decide on the best approach. It is not as straight forward as it seems trying to marry to systems that are not designed to work together. You are looking for a system. Have someone design, install, setup, and be responsible for it's proper operation.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Would love to find someone in Toronto that can design this. If anyone is interested or can provide a recommendation please let me know.

It has been awhile seen I have sold Carrier (I'm not in the business any longer) but the Infinity control will operate all the add-ons.

The only problem with a small zone is the other dampers will open as opposed to having a by-pass damper. No harm done. But I would oversize the ductwork to the smaller areas so the other dampers do not need to open as much and over condition those areas.

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    It has been awhile seen I have sold Carrier (I'm not in the business any longer) but the Infinity control will operate all the add-ons.

The only problem with a small zone is the other dampers will open as opposed to having a by-pass damper. No harm done. But I would oversize the ductwork to the smaller areas so the other dampers do not need to open as much and over condition those areas.
    I actually don't want the infinity system to control the ventilator. I prefer to use a non-carrier ventilator:

http://www.vanee-ventilation.com/eng...90h_v_ecm.html
    and
    http://www.vanee-ventilation.com/eng....html#platinum

... since I would like to ventilate 30min/hr. (I understand the infinity control cannot do this).

When the infinity system is off I think I read in one of the infinity zoning guides (I believe the comfort zone 4, not the infinity, so I am hoping it is the same for the infinity) that the zoning dampers will "close open". If that's the case, I can use the vanee ventilator.

PS - for those of you on this forum that keep suggesting to find a competent contractor who can design and install this... that has been near impossible, and I'm sure I'm not the only homebuilder that is frustrated in this regard. Most of the guys I have called don't even suggest sealing the ducts with mastic tape. E.g, the last carrier dealer I talked to said "the holes don't matter in the ductwork". Maybe it doesn't, but I would love an explanation as to why. Not to mention when I mention zoning they are either afraid to tackle the product or try and sell me two units instead. So there you go... I'm trying to educate myself so at least I know the job will be done correctly when the crew arrives.

If any of you can provide a recommendation for a good contractor in Toronto I would be grateful if you sent it over. I'm not trying to nickle and dime - happy to pay proportionally to the service.

Quote Originally Posted by tuffcalc View Post
    I actually don't want the infinity system to control the ventilator. I prefer to use a non-carrier ventilator:

http://www.vanee-ventilation.com/eng...90h_v_ecm.html
    and
    http://www.vanee-ventilation.com/eng....html#platinum

... since I would like to ventilate 30min/hr. (I understand the infinity control cannot do this).

When the infinity system is off I think I read in one of the infinity zoning guides (I believe the comfort zone 4, not the infinity, so I am hoping it is the same for the infinity) that the zoning dampers will "close open". If that's the case, I can use the vanee ventilator.

PS - for those of you on this forum that keep suggesting to find a competent contractor who can design and install this... that has been near impossible, and I'm sure I'm not the only homebuilder that is frustrated in this regard. Most of the guys I have called don't even suggest sealing the ducts with mastic tape. E.g, the last carrier dealer I talked to said "the holes don't matter in the ductwork". Maybe it doesn't, but I would love an explanation as to why. Not to mention when I mention zoning they are either afraid to tackle the product or try and sell me two units instead. So there you go... I'm trying to educate myself so at least I know the job will be done correctly when the crew arrives.

If any of you can provide a recommendation for a good contractor in Toronto I would be grateful if you sent it over. I'm not trying to nickle and dime - happy to pay proportionally to the service.
    What style of house are you building? I would love to design the duct layout. If you send me the plans, I'll do it for free.

What style of house are you building? I would love to design the duct layout. If you send me the plans, I'll do it for free.
    George2 - will send you a private message.

Actually - I don't even think I can send private messages on here. Drop me an email, tuffcalc1 AT me DOT com.

In short the home will be on a 25 x 125 lot ... essentially a 2-story box (plus basement). I plan on having two zones in the basement, one zone main floor, a zone for the master bedroom and one zone for the rest of the upstairs & bedrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by tuffcalc View Post
    Actually - I don't even think I can send private messages on here. Drop me an email, tuffcalc1 AT me DOT com.

In short the home will be on a 25 x 125 lot ... essentially a 2-story box (plus basement). I plan on having two zones in the basement, one zone main floor, a zone for the master bedroom and one zone for the rest of the upstairs & bedrooms.
    I did a zone system for a home just like that about 12-15 yrs ago. I'll see if I read your email correctly. I'll write to you now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast