Thread: Generator Question (is this OK here?) Propane powered vs Diesel Powered?

Post Likes
    Hi,

I am exploring helping a friend get a generator installed in his home. The installation advice was to get either a Generac 5621 - 45KW unit (propane powered) or a Generac 5324 - 25KW propane unit.

I thought diesel would be easier due to delivery, but why is propane preferable? Is there a big difference in worksmanship or upkeep?

Thanks,
    Rich

(Sorry if this is in the wrong section but this is for a house).

Post Likes
    Propane is generally more acceptable for residential usage because you don't have to worry about the fuel. After only running for minutes a year (exercising), the day you need to run it for hours or days you want to now that only propane is in the tank, not diesal+water+deteriorating diesal.

Post Likes
    Ok, that make sense to me. Are there any other items I should be looking for when getting this sort of job done? The Generac 5621 - 45KW doesnt seem to be a terribly popular brand & model (based on the searching for it online), the Generac 5324 - 25K unit seems to have some info.

Are they quality parts?

I am looking to get a few price quotes & want to make sure I am comparing apples to apples.

The only parts specified was the generator. Nothing about the brand (does it matter) of the transfer switch, wiring, etc.

What else is important?

Thanks
    Rich

Post Likes
    make sure you have someone qualified to install it,make sure it is grounded well,make sure it excerises. Parts are kinda expensive,ie electronics. You can get a generac transfer switch, make sure it is the same amperage as your electrical service.

Post Likes
    I have installed both Generac propane generators, and
    also diesel generators. Depending on the load, and
    how much of a surge load you expect, this will determine
    which type of fuel generator you should use.

Generac is ok for light loads, and diesel is better
    for heavy start loads, and continueous heavy loads.

I tried a propane generator for my home, and it did not
    function as well as desired. I switched to diesel,
    and have been very very happy with it.

Diesel generators also exercise themselves, and that
    is a must in the cold/winter months. These days
    diesel storage is no problem.

Also the transfer switch is very important, and most
    of all grounding. Very important of follow local
    codes, and use UL listed equipment.

Post Likes
    I'm going to assume you're talking about home stand by generators.

If you and you're friend are looking at the 25k and 40k you're obviously looking at the generac liquid cooled models... which are outstanding. Generac makes every component of their generators (from the engine to the alternator) and have won numerous awards for their patents and products the last several years.
    As for propane v. diesel: a generac home stand by generator is equiped to run off both LP (liquid propane) and natural gas. So that being said, if your friends house runs off natural gas or LP he can run his generator off it and never have to worry about refueling.
    Now, Propane v natural gas: Propane will give you more btu output, which means the generator will be able to handle bigger loads. I.E. perceived kilowattage. Natural gas is thought to be cheaper, due to an endless supply and not having to refill your tank.
    hope this helps you and your friend

[Edited by jrok57 on 09-07-2006 at 11:07 AM]

Post Likes
    Here's my 2 cents:

I have a diesel genset at home. Most diesel setups are heavier duty and will outlast a gas or propane. Diesel can be stored for years without degrading (if you keep the moisture out) and be ready when needed. The overall operating cost will be significantly lower. My neighbor has a 15 KW propane, and when running it gobbles fuel at quite a rate. By contrast my 10 KW diesel burns about 1/2 gal/hr running the whole house.

In the sized you are looking at, I would say that a diesel genset is the better choice. The main downside is that the upfront purchase price will be higher. You might look at Harbor Freight. They have a remaned 20 KW Detroit Diesel genset for $ 4400. Not a bad deal if you want something that big.

paul

Post Likes
    The diesel generator can run on used vegetable oil with a few modifications. If you can get used vegetable oil for free or very cheap, the generator might soon pay for itself.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by jrok57
    I'm going to assume you're talking about home stand by generators.
    I think thats what you mean, the type where when the power goes out, the generator automatically kicks on & when the power goes back on, the generator turns itself off (all without frying the electric in the house).

Originally posted by jrok57
    So that being said, if your friends house runs off natural gas or LP he can run his generator off it and never have to worry about refueling.
    [Edited by jrok57 on 09-07-2006 at 11:07 AM] [/B]
    The house currently has oil fuel. Could they use the same oil for the generator (for the diesel one)? I thought someone said you could use diesel fuel in an oil tank in a pinch.

Post Likes
    Diesel fuel and home heating oil are one in the same, except for the road tax on diesel. I run my diesel tractor off heating oil. You could easily run the generator off of your fuel oil tank.

paul

Post Likes
    Is there an exterior fuel tank for the diesel powered generators or is it built into the unit itself.

Are the diesel powered units larger?

I cant figure out why they would recommend gas if the house runs on oil.

The person who quoted the job gave a price & then mentioned that the tank would be extra & someone else would have to install/fill it.

Post Likes
    25 / 45 kW units are way up there for a single home...are you sure the application requires that much power? A typical house should be able to get along on 15-20 kW with a few common sense choices about loads (Don't roast a turkey in the electric oven while also drying clothes in an electric dryer and simultaneously demanding 5 tons of HVAC)

In strictly standby service propane or NG may make more sense - longevity isn't nearly as big an issue and there are no issues with fuel moisture, or microbiological problems.

That being said, I operate nothing but Diesel cars and trucks, and a Diesel engine driving a 4 pole generator at 1800 RPM should be much more efficient,quieter and give more stable frequency and better power quality and be longer lasting. The Diesel will likely be more expensive upfront and thus make less sense if only operated a few hours or days per year.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in