Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused Applied for job off of craigslist need advice...

okay im new to the site and pretty new to hvac, i just got out of school last year in November having trouble looking for work but hanging in there. so the other day i applied to a job on Craigslist http://wichita.craigslist.org/trd/3158699965.html and they called me the next day saying i can give my notice at my job im at right now, im a little skeptical because after all this struggling trying to find work i get it this easy... but anyways they sent me an employment packet and told me to print it out and send it to them it has all my w4 forms and social on it so im trying to get some info on the business, has anybody ever heard of Pearce services inc out of paso Robles CA i tried to call the bbb and they cant find any info on them so im a little nervous maybe its to good to be true i found there website but still not enough to let me rest easy since anybody can make a website nowadays, its psixbox.com i guess im worried about it since i heard alot of stuff about finding employment on Craigslist. i appreciate any responses and thanks for taking the time to read.

I would get the address and go there in person to turn in all the paperwork they need.

Yea thats kind of not a choice they only have an office in california and are "expanding" to the kansas area which is where im at. So they dont have an office up here either thats whats kind of scetchy to me.

dont give them any personel info, they may only want your info to steal your indenity. I would want a actual interview. if they are new to the area ask them for their mechanical license number and check with central inspection. they have to have that to operate in Wichita.

Yea thats what im afraid of okay ill be sure to ask them for the code, do i need the code or can i just give them the name of the company?

They are a real company. They are whats called a big box company. They do the exact same big work for a few big companies instead of a lot of small work for a lot of small companies. This is also why you wont see them on BBB.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Oh alright thats makes me feel better so they are legit?? Im goodto send in the paperwork?

I would verify the email address you have with the company webpage info.

I called them and got a verification mailing adress and so its good to go. Would youhappen to know why they only have one office since its such a big company? I was told they might be working off like a satelite or something like that.

Instead of doing work in an area they do work for big box companies AKA AT&T Cox Communication Qwest Construction (which is a huge nation wide construction company), and so on. Instead of creating 600 small offices(this is an assumption mind you) all over the nation they will hire people to work a region. They will hire someone who lives in that region to work it. Instead of going into the shop each morning and getting assignments you will start at home and work through phone and emails. You may have one or two shops in that state you go to from time to time. I am only guessing from previous experience with similar companies so I would not take this information as exact every company has it's own methods.

I see what your saying and it makes sense now thanks for the info makes me feel better i dont know anything about thesekinds of companies since this is going to be my first job in the field. But thanks again and ifi have any other questions ill let you know.

I'm a bit more skeptical than xcel tech. Do a little Google search and see what you come up with. I did. There is no mention that they have anything to do with the HVAC industry. What kind of job are they offering you? I found a physical address for the company and typed looked it up on Google Earth. The satellite image didn't look all that impressive. Here's one thing I found in my search.

I checked the web address (psixbox.com) through GoDaddy and it it is indeed registered to that company. The funny thing is I tried to go to that site and I can't...not sure why. I'm using Firefox and it tries to open it as https://psixbox.com. Then I get a screen that says it can't open that secure site. This is the warning I get.

Name:  Screen shot 2012-08-10 at 2.07.52 AM.png
Views: 391
Size:  43.7 KB
    Last edited by KnewYork; 08-10-2012 at 06:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post
    I'm a bit more skeptical than xcel tech. Do a little Google search and see what you come up with. I did. There is no mention that they have anything to do with the HVAC industry. What kind of job are they offering you? I found a physical address for the company and typed looked it up on Google Earth. The satellite image didn't look all that impressive. Here's one thing I found in my search.

I checked the web address (psixbox.com) through GoDaddy and it it is indeed registered to that company. The funny thing is I tried to go to that site and I can't...not sure why. I'm using Firefox and it tries to open it as https://psixbox.com. Then I get a screen that says it can't open that secure site. This is the warning I get.

Name:  Screen shot 2012-08-10 at 2.07.52 AM.png
Views: 391
Size:  43.7 KB
    That site is a scam. It gives web searched information and asks you to pay to get more then gives you a bunch of garbage from them. I did my research too. Including finding their total 401k plan from 2008 and their AT&T connection. It is a real company.

No, it is not an HVAC company it is a telecommunication company. Hence AT&T, COX Communication, Qwest Construction, and such as their main clients. Why does a telecommunication company need an HVAC Tech. Because they have very expensive servers that require very cold rooms. We call these CRAC systems or Computer Room Air Conditioning, such as this one produced by Emerson/Liebert for Telecommunication cases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast