Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for a few tools

Hey guys, theres a few tools I'm looking to buy soon but I just want some opinions. What do you guys use to get your subcooling or superheat temps? I use the thermometer lead supplied with my fluke 116 and just tape it to insulate it. Is there a better tool for this?

Another acessory I'm looking into is a Kwik Charge. For the first time the other day I liquid charged 410a thru the suction line by very slowly throttling my manifold valve. It went well but the charge device should help speed it up right?

Instead of taping the bead to the copper, try a pipe clamp k-type thermocouple, I have had the same one for about 4 years from fieldpiece...

Can't comment on the kwik charge as I don't have one
    Last edited by Danielandersen2; 08-26-2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Revision for clarification

Oh yeah the pipe clamp thermocouples, I have heard about them. Is the fieldpiece compatible with my fluke though?

As long as you have a type k plug on your meter

1) Get a set of Digital gauges.
    2) I dont think many of us use the Kwik charge. Never really had an issue charging with R410A. Looks pretty cool though, charges up to 8 times faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack93 View Post
    Oh yeah the pipe clamp thermocouples, I have heard about them. Is the fieldpiece compatible with my fluke though?
    You can get an adapter to plug a k type thermocouple into your meter. I got this one at Sears, it came with a thermocouple.

Name:  260813171550.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  63.1 KB Name:  260813171601.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  49.2 KB

I think the quick charge is a waste. One of them tools I had to have and never used. Digital gauges all the way. That's all you need to cover your basics.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

I may get digital gauges down the road but not yet. I have 2 new manifolds a J/B for 410A and a Uniweld for 22. I'll get my use out of them for a few years and once they get too beat down I'll look into the digital set. For right now as I see it, there's nothing wrong with good old analogs. They are cheaper to replace, don't have as much to break, and no batteries to die out on me.

I am surprised the quick charge devices aren't more popular. Do they not work too well? I mean I had no problem throttling liquid through the suction side and it was my first time doing it. I just thought of a quick charge as a peace of mind tool. Better to spend 20 bucks on it than slip up one day and slug a compressor which is a lot more dough depending on what it is.

My digi cool gauges are more rugged than any analogs I've owned... And I'm not just trying to promote them either, but I've been nothing but happy with them.

Well thats good to know they can take a little abuse. For now though i'll just get my use out of my analogs. They're brand new, no sense in retiring them yet.

I have use a cooper three probe thermometer, which also does rh, and it has three temp probes, one is also a little pipe clamp, then I have a fluke type k pipe clamp, 6 years I've been useing them without any problems. As for gauges I have four sets of analogs, yellow jacket brute 2 for 410 a set of imperials(I do not recommend, the gauges themselves are plastic) and two set of regular yellow jackets.
    I also have a problem with buying tools, so if you have any question just ask me!

I use a Fluke meter with a pipe clamp thermocouple. The Fluke model number is TK-80 or 80-TK. Icant remember. Works great
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisRefrig View Post
    I use a Fluke meter with a pipe clamp thermocouple. The Fluke model number is TK-80 or 80-TK. Icant remember. Works great
    80-PK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast